Lots of progress on my D28, No major screw ups

What're You Doing?
johnnparchem

Lots of progress on my D28, No major screw ups

Post by johnnparchem »

I made a lot of progress this weekend and today. I glued in the end wedge. I glued the top and back. Then I managed to get the top and back trimmed and the binding and purfling channels routed top and back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Re: Lots of progress on my D28, No major screw ups

Post by johnnparchem »

A few more photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Lookin' real good! What woods are you using?
Dave B
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The backs and sides are brazilian rosewood, I think the top is engleman spruce, The binding and end wedge are curly maple. I am using harringbone purfling for the top.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

John,
You are doing nice work. The maple binding with the brazilian is a looker.
Keep us posted once you have the binding installed.

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Thanks,

Here are the pictures, I glued in the bindings and the purflings, I went at then a bit with a block plane and my cabinet scrapers.
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Looking really good there, John.

Ken
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Once I get my bridge set I am ready to start the final sanding schedule and french polishing. I know FP it is not as duable as a lacquer, but I am nice to the guitars and it is easily repaired. I still have a bit to go setting the neck but I wanted to wait until the gutar was finished to drop the last 16th or so. The angle is good and it is close to centered.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Looking really clean John. The maple with the brazilian is sweet.

Kevin
johnnparchem

Re: Backwards progress on my D28.

Post by johnnparchem »

I have everything I need to finish my D28 but while sanding the sides I thined some of the bindings way too far. I suspect my channel was not square to the sides thus I ended up with a paper thin binding in a couple of places. So I pulled out the router a routed the bindings and purflings off of the guitar.

It went OK with no real issues. This time I put earplugs in, a good mask and eye protections, and got in close while routing the channels. I visually made sure that the router was running square. Also this time I made sure the binding fit really close so that I just needed to take a little (easy scrape) off the sides of the body keeping the full depth of the bindings.

I had enough curly maple and purfling strips to re-bind the bottom. I had to reorder the maple binding for the top. So maybe another week or so.