Easier end wedge

What're You Doing?
deadedith

Easier end wedge

Post by deadedith »

I don't enjoy gluing the sides to the endblock and then having to chisel out the shape of my end wedge. Seems like double work.For me, it is easier to cut a piece of clear packing tape the shape and size of my wedge, position the tape in the correct place on the block, and glue up to the tape edges when clamping up the sides. When dry, it is easy to razor saw the shape out and no chiseling needed. Not an earth shaking idea, but it does save a step.
Dave B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: Easier end wedge

Post by tippie53 »

you may do it your way but you have to be careful that you don't throw the body out of square. I can put an tail piece in , in a few minutes by hand. I also don't cut through the sides to do that . I did like you suggested on my second guitar in 1999 and I didn't watch close enough. The wedge I made threw the sides out of square and till I reshaped them I lost a bit of body depth.
With all the jigs that are available to do this process , it is actually very easy . I agree , that if you can eliminate a process that may not be a bad thing . Remember that the tail piece is there more to hide a joint and be decorative at the same time.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Thanks for the input John. I am careful to keep a watchful eye on the process. It does eliminate the need for special jigs and for the chiseling.
Also, if you wait until the binding channels have been routed before razor sawing the wedge and exposing the endblock, there is not much to worry about as far as disforming the body, it's plenty rigid by that time.
Thanks again
Dave B
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the one thing you can learn from this , is that there is more than one way to do something. Find a technique that works for you and work with it
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Amen, Bro!! :-)
Dave B