Inlay Practice on the Cheap

What're You Doing?
Darryl Young

Inlay Practice on the Cheap

Post by Darryl Young »

I bought the die grinder inlay tool from John Hall a few weeks back. I will be inlaying my last name, Young, in the headstock of my guitar. That's not a simple inlay and I've never inlayed before so John suggested I practice several inlays before attempting this on the head stock.......good advice! My headstock is EIR, which isn't quite as easy to inlay as ebony (mistakes can't be hidden as well) so I had John send me some scrap rosewood so I could practice.

I've not had a chance to play with the inlay tool till today. Now what could I use to practice inlaying.......need something thin, not too large, and not too complex. While looking around I spotted the perfect subject.....a guitar pick. This worked great so I wanted to share it......I was scratching my head trying to figure out something to use for practice and it cost me nothing.

I need more practice for sure but I learned a few things while practicing.

- I need better lighting. Difficult to see the thin pencil line on rosewood.

- My pancake compressor can't quite keep up. I don't have to wait too much, but I did need to stop a time or two.

- Most of my mistakes have been trying to clean up to the line after a test fit......easy to go too far, especially when you can't see the line too well.

- I need a setup where I can sit down and be comfortable while inlaying. On one table I was on my knees and I made a make-shift table on top of my tool box that I used standing.

- Definitely wear ear plugs!!! Between the roar of the pancake compressor and the scream of the die grinder it's too much for unprotected ears.

Here is a shot of my first practice piece. As you can see, I need a lot more practice.
InlayPractice.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slacker......
tippie53

Re: Inlay Practice on the Cheap

Post by tippie53 »

looking good. Now work with something smaller . Try inlaying a paper clip
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... inlay&aq=f
Here is a few vids on inlay . I do poke out a few reference points to help but the major key is learning to trace out the design. A little hint , you want to climb cut as you get out near the lines. By climb cut I mean that you are working the inlay tool in the direction as the bit would want to make it go. That way if you slip , the cutter will travel into the work and not out.
This is just a matter of practicing a technique I do teach inlay classes . They are 5 days long 8 hours a day and you learn the basic process of cutting pearl and inlay. Take your time , it will come to you
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

John, I'll keep the climb cutting tip in mind. That may be why I tended to get outside the lines when doing a cleanup cut after a test fit.
Slacker......