What Next?

What're You Doing?
JJDonohue

Re: What Next?

Post by JJDonohue »

Check out RC Tonewoods http://www.rctonewoods.com/ for most of the wood you'll ever need. Bob Cefalu, one of the new forum owners has been supplying to the pros for almost 10 years and has the highest reputation for quality and selection.

If there are other specific supplies you need, ask away. I've bought from most, if not all of the major suppliers as well as the specialty shops..
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I've gone the route of scratch building, but I still get all my non-wood parts from LMI or Stewmac. I have found a local hardwood store that carries gorgeous woods of numerous species.....padauk, sapele, walnut, zebrawood, sitka, wenge, ebony, dozens of others, all dried to the same specs as the guitar shops. One of the owners worked for Guild for 20 years. It's fun to go look through stuff, and then buy one spruce board that will yeild 15 tops, another padauk board that will yeild 8 back and side sets....kinda cool.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

You have plenty of options for components. Like the others mentioned, I too still get certain items from LMII and Stewmac. In fact I just ordered some Grover Tulip tuners from Stewmac last week. For some items, their pricing isn't too bad. I have purchased wood from Bob at RC Tonewoods. He carries some nice woods. I am building a guitar now with claro walnut that I resawed from a board I purchased. I have purchased 2x2x36 turning pieces from eBay that I resaw for bindings. The more milling you can do yourself, the more you can save.

Ken
Freeman

Post by Freeman »

Like others have said, I think first of SM when I want tools, first of LMI when I need wood. With the exception of my first couple, which where true kits, I've ordered almost everything from LMI. I used their kit wizard for a couple, then started scratch building and just pick and choose.

Both SM and LMI had booths at the 2008 GAL conference (along with a few other specialty wood suppliers) and it was interesting to me to see how many luthiers were picking through their woods and other supplies to get "just the right set" for their next build. Seem like a lot of the pros shop there too.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Don't forget . The sponsors here also have wood. RC has a great selection as do we at Blues Creek Guitars. Wood and parts are not hard to find . I am listing necks and unlike Stew Mac and LMI we sell the neck as a unit with the truss rod and matching block.
Keep an eye out for them
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

tippie53 wrote: I am listing necks and unlike Stew Mac and LMI we sell the neck as a unit with the truss rod and matching block. Keep an eye out for them.
John, will you offer both bolt-on and dovetail? Are they Martin necks or something else? Will you have both short and long scale? This could work out nice.
Slacker......
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

As indicated some of the suppliers offer small discounts at different quantities -- but usually no mix and match. For most items their wholesale rates are 100pcs plus or $1000 minimuns and you need a tax number.

Also lots of good stuff and good prices available from the forum sponsors -- we too, KMG sell necks, produced in our shop --- long, short scale and in between --- laminated 3-5-7 , solid --- paddle or slotted headstock -- Gibson or Martin heel.
ngerty

Post by ngerty »

Check out rctonewoods.com and alliedlutherie.com. I haven't purchased anything from these sites yet, but I will because I like having the ability to chose the exact set of woods I want and to know what I'll be getting.

lmii.com seems like a great resource as well for all things related, though, an stewmac.com seems best for tools and equipment.
Freeman

Post by Freeman »

One more source for necks, particularly if you need something special, is http://www.hanalei-moon.com/

Chris did the five piece special scale length slothead neck for my tricone and it is simply stunning.
Dan Bejnarowicz

Post by Dan Bejnarowicz »

Ken Hundley wrote:...I have found a local hardwood store that carries gorgeous woods of numerous species.....padauk, sapele, walnut, zebrawood, sitka, wenge, ebony, dozens of others, all dried to the same specs as the guitar shops.
Hi Ken, I work close to Wilmette (Northbrook). Would you mind sharing the name of the local hardwood place(is it owl?)

thanks