Should I be concerned about gaps where braces intersect?

What're You Doing?
Chuck Dvorak

Should I be concerned about gaps where braces intersect?

Post by Chuck Dvorak »

Looking over my guitar top tonight I realized there are several places where top braces intersect but they do not form a tight joint. For example, where the finger braces meet the x-brace, where the tone bars meet the x-braces, and even where the bridge plate intersects the x-braces. In all of these intersections the braces do touch, but there is a small triangle-shaped gap. When I glued the braces to the top I followed the pre-drawn template on the top--I thought about these gaps but figured it may not be an issue. Now I read that these joints are important and should even include glue where the braces connect.

Do I have an issue to be concerned with here? Should I try to fill in the gaps with a small piece of wood or glue? Or do you think this gap will likely not be an issue?

Thanks,

Chuck
Darryl Young

Re: Should I be concerned about gaps where braces intersect?

Post by Darryl Young »

Where the finger braces connect to the X-brace, I dont think you have an issue. On the tone bars and bridge plate, you may have an issue.

When I made my first I posted a pic and Mario Proulx looked at it. There was a small gap (maybe 0.020" at the worst point) between the bridge plate and x-brace, only on one side, and only on the bottom half of the plate (the angle didn't exactly match the X brace angle). Mario stated I needed to plane off that plate and make another one that fit perfectly. You might loose tone......but Mario said he was also worried that I may later get a strange buzzing from that gap. Mario is also the one who told me to leave the upper tone bar with a little meat (don't plane down to nothing) where it meets the x-brace as it would help resist bridge rotation. He also told me that I could carve the lower tone bar down to essentially nothing where it meets the X-brace.

So you may need to consider replacing the bridge plate and possibly the upper tone bar. Wait till you hear from John or other more experienced folks before you make a decision.
Slacker......
JJDonohue

Post by JJDonohue »

This is where we all have faced the dilemma of whether we accept "good enough" or plane off the braces and do it over. I can tell you this...your skills and attention to detail will never move to the next level if you settle for workmanship that you know can be better. There's no certainty that the gaps will cause a problem, but just knowing that it could is reason enough.

With this forum being an entry level builder's site, my opinion is that if you know you can do better then I would recommend listening to that inner voice and doing it right. It's far easier to learn good habits and practices early rather than get used to rationalizing to just get by.

BTW...we all face these decisions and I can tell you that I've never regretted taking the extra time to do the right thing.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

While you do need to hone your gluing skills you should check the braces to see if they are clear of each other . If they are good ,if they are close enough to touch , you can fill in the gap to avoid a buzz. I have seen many first timers guitars , if you can pull the brace , and reglue that would be best.
You may be thinking how ? will you can make a very good glue remover with KY Jelly and white vinegar. Mix about 1/2 and 1/2 goop the stuff on the affected brace and let it set for an hour or so. I often just let it sit over night , the glue is destroyed and the braces come off clean and can be reused after a rinse in water and allow to dry.
If you have a set of braces and a thickness sander , you can take them off in a few minutes . If you decide to let them on ,you can mix some epoxy and fill the gap.
The top is 90% of the guitar , so work on your gluing technique . If you are using a gobar deck make sure the gobars are as vertical as possible. Glue when wet is a lubricant. You can cheat in many areas but the main X and tone bars are not one of them .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com