Remove Scratch From Ebony Fretboard

What're You Doing?
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Remove Scratch From Ebony Fretboard

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Darryl,
A good way to polish the fretboard is to rub it with 0000 steel wool. You can also polish your frets with the steel wool. If your frets are not in yet, take the surface to about 400 grit paper, then rub length wise with the steel wool. Wipe and blow all the steel wool dust off and out of the fret slots before fretting. When you are all done with the recrowning of the frets, and have them sanded down to at least 600 grit, then you can use the 0000 steel wool to rub across the frets and the fret board to do a final polish, before you apply and kind of oil.
Hope this helps.

Kevin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Thanks Ken and Kevin! That's the info I needed.
Slacker......
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

FYI, the 0000 steel wool worked great for polishing the fretboard! Just wanted to add this comment in case someone later pulls this post up for reference.

Thanks for the suggestion Kevin.
Slacker......
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

I was thinking of using Micro-mesh to smooth my f/b down. I remember polishing the nut and saddle with it when I did my first build, and how nice and shiny it was. I bet it would get the f/b really smooth. Then a tiny bit of oil.
Bob
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

You are welcome Darryl, it has worked very well for me.
Also a good way to polish your bridge, especially if it is ebony or another dense oily wood, like cocobolo.

Kevin