Filling Gaps in Binding

What're You Doing?
jrc127

Filling Gaps in Binding

Post by jrc127 »

The binding is installed but has a few gaps and I need some tips on filling. I thought I'd sand the sides a bit and use the dust to fill the gaps by adding CA. I figure I'd then sand the fill down to level with the back. What about the top? Will the CA darken the top and be noticeable?

Sides and back are African mahogany, top is Sitka.

Thanks.
James Cowhey
Manheim, PA

Martin 000-18 Kit (African Mahogany, Sitka Spruce)
tippie53

Re: Filling Gaps in Binding

Post by tippie53 »

CA will not work with these woods. The CA may turn the spruce yellow and then it will glaze the mahogany . There are a number of fill techniques. A simple one that works well is use the dust and drop fill with shellac or Lacquer . Elmers white glue will also work but you must be sure you get the glue sanded well to avoid glue signatures.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
jrc127

Post by jrc127 »

I'm glad I asked. I've done drop fills on FBs using CA. I have some Elmer's but no shellac or lacquer. I like the idea of shellac or lacquer; white glue just seems too thick to get right.

By glue signature, do you mean dust/glue mix outside of the gap that will not hold stain and show through the finish as lighter area?
James Cowhey
Manheim, PA

Martin 000-18 Kit (African Mahogany, Sitka Spruce)
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I put a little white glue in the gap and lightly sand with 120 grit paper on a block in the direction of the binding. That pushes in sanding dust into the glue. After a half hour or so I sand any residue glue off of the top.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

yes glue and dust may leave a signature of a small area that won't take stain . The shellac and lacquer drop fill will be more finish friendly. Also most wood glues will shrink so depending on the size of the void you need to fill will alsp be part of the equation.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com