Thinning White Glue?

What're You Doing?
darren

Thinning White Glue?

Post by darren »

Can you thin white glue (lmi/TB) and flow it into a rosette? I've read about using fish glue this way but don't have any on me.

I think I'm starting to develop a reaction to CA and want to avoid it - otherwise I'd use that in this instance. Used it earlier today and just want to throw the stuff out. :(
Darren

Re: Thinning White Glue?

Post by   »

From the Titebond website:

"Can Titebond Wood Glues be thinned?
Most of our wood glues can be thinned with water up to 5% by weight or by volume. Adding more than 5% water to our glues will decrease the bond strength. Titebond Liquid Hide Glue is thinned by gently heating the bottle in a pan of warm water. Titebond Polyurethane Glue may only be thinned by placing the bottle into a pan of warm water. "

tb
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I have been doing this a long time . If you want to wick glue into the rosette , you may want to think about fish or Hot Hide glue. On wood rosettes , if they are simple ring rosettes straight wood glue should be fine.
I have used DUCO cement and HHG succesfully . Tite bond works for single rosettes but when you get segmented ones duco is the better glue.
Avoid CA on spruce , it will turn yellow .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I prefer Duco over PVA because it does not have water which distorts the rosette channels -- more water??
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I agree with ken Duco is the best for rosettes but I will use tite done on pearl rosettes when I use teflon for the pearl channel.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
darren

Post by darren »

Hmmm yes perhaps not the best solution "more water". I clearly need to rethink my rosette operation. Time for a more accurate cutter and to start using a different glue. This one was definitely pushing my skill/tools. Next time round...

Thanks for the input.
Darren
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Curious about this.

If you thin white/yellow glue, won't it soak into the wood or purfling, dulling it's appearance under the finish?
My poorly maintained "Blog"
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

it can
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Glue stains can be a huge finishing problem only discovered far into the process -- to that end I use the florescent Titebond -- the same stuff used at the Taylor factory. A black light reveals a glue mess instantly -- more sanding usually the cure. Not sure if this glue is available in smaller then the 32oz. size.