first bound fretboard - question

What're You Doing?
Darryl Young

Re: first bound fretboard - question

Post by Darryl Young »

What is the best way to apply the CA? Apply to fret then press? Press the fret then wick CA underneath? Puddle CA on the binding just above and below the fret slot then press/hammer the fret in place?

I too wonder how one would keep the fretboard looking nice using any of these methods.......at least it would be a challenge.
Slacker......
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I've never used a bound fretboard and removed the tang on the fret ends......so I'll ask a question but take it as speculation, not experience.

If the fret wire has a much smaller radius than the fretboard and you tap each end in place first........do you run the risk of bending the the ends of the fret wire up (the area where the tang was removed) so that the ends of the fret don't lie flat on the binding? Seems this could happen but of corse it may not be happening to you.

I would think using a fret radius just slightly smaller than the fretboard would be ideal. Have you tried pressing a fret in place to see if makes a difference?

Also, how wide is your binding on the fretboard? Seems the more fret dangling on the ends without a tang to stiffen it, the more problems one would have with the ends bending up. Shorter is better.
Last edited by Darryl Young on Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slacker......
darren

Post by darren »

Ken, the next time around I will definitely try those applicator tips, I'm just about done on this board.

Darryl, I've wondered all those things as well... it certainly is a challenge keeping the fb looking nice, you got that right.
Darren