Glue softened the binding/bubble

What're You Doing?
jrc127

Glue softened the binding/bubble

Post by jrc127 »

This is my first post about my first kit. Been bugging John Hall with lots of questions and figured I might as well post here as well so others can learn from his and others' answers. Anywho..

The binding is glued on and it worked out pretty well. But in a couple of places the glue seems to have softened the binding through its entire thickness. As I scrape it flat it raises up again kind of like a small bubble. Not a big problem since it only happened in two small places. Just wondering what to do...
James Cowhey
Manheim, PA

Martin 000-18 Kit (African Mahogany, Sitka Spruce)
tippie53

Re: Glue softened the binding/bubble

Post by tippie53 »

you need to allow the binding to recure. This may take a few days. If you start working it and you smell camphor you need to move on. This material is funny that way. Once you use it a few times you will get used to it
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
David L

Post by David L »

Welcome to the forum jrc127, just a little tip for the future, whenever asking a question or soliciting help/advice/suggestions, a picture or three is worth more words than you could possibly type on your computer. Plus, we just really like looking at pictures, how bout sharing some pictures of what you've done so far? Are you building with Camphor? I'd love to see how it's coming along!

David L
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Ivroid or tortise binding will have a camphor order when it gets over worked . The binding will become soft.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
jrc127

Post by jrc127 »

I'll post some picture as soon as I figure out how. I've been documenting the process...
James Cowhey
Manheim, PA

jrc127

Post by jrc127 »

Thanks, John. I had to stop for a while tonight... the binding was about a 1/32 proud of the sides which didn't seem like much before I started scraping it...
James Cowhey
Manheim, PA

jrc127

Post by jrc127 »

BTW, I was using Duco but when that ran out I used Sig-Ment which is a model airplane glue. The Sig seems to really soften the plastic binding way more than the Duco - I think the Sig is what's causing the problem.
James Cowhey
Manheim, PA

jrc127

Post by jrc127 »

This is an attempt to post a picture of the 000-18. It's coming along, can't wait to get playing it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James Cowhey
Manheim, PA