radius dishhes

What're You Doing?
kredwards

radius dishhes

Post by kredwards »

I received my radius dishes and had a question about how to handle them. Since they are made of a low density fiberboard is it a good idea to seal them with a polyurethane or something before putting the sandpaper on. Also, should I expect any problems getting the sandpaper on evenly since the dish is concave but the sandpaper disk is not?
tippie53

Re: radius dishhes

Post by tippie53 »

Yes. I use floor polyurathane thinned about 1/2 for the 1st coat then 2 full strength coats.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I would add that you should use solvent based coating for sealing dishes - water based products always swells composite materials and for that matter to some degree will distort any natural wood as well.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I agree with ken. I like the Mineral based poly . You can tell if is tell you to clean up with water, that isn't what you need. You want one that takes Mineral spirits to clean up with.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

And the sand paper?
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Unless you are going to power/motorize the dish there's really no need for a single one piece circle of abrasive. Nor is it necessarry to cover every square inch of the dish. Self stick 5 or 6 in sanding disks can be placed to cover much of the surface. Better yet strips of any width rolled adhesive back paper can be placed side by side then trimmed on the perimeter edge.