first dreadnaught - bracing question

What're You Doing?
kencierp

Re: first dreadnaught - bracing question

Post by kencierp »

I would submit that he just made the top heavier and killed some of the low frequency -- in other words I believe a heavier brace leg on the other side would have the same results. How about adding weight using that extra brace in front of the bridge plate I saw some where?

Actually I have a better idea -- why not build it with a cover on the tail end like the top of the line Fox guitars -- then you could get in there and trim/shave the braces gradually and hear if there really is a difference.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

LOL.

I will point out , however, that you, in your online manual, give pretty specific instruction on bracing. You also state that, from time to time, you will trim a brace or two to increase the quality or quantity of the tone. So you must have criteria that you rely on.

I suspect that all experienced luthiers do the same thing. If you can trim a brace and sense that it makes a better sounding top, I reckon Dana can trim or beef up or do the hokey-pokey and sense that it makes a better sounding top. I don't think that he would intentionally build a less responsive guitar. Maybe it's just marketing hype, what do I know?

Maybe all I can say is that to him, it makes a better sounding large bodied guitar. It might not for you, or for me.

Anyway, my Ditson is going to be 'stock' all the way, and I'm betting it's going to sound great.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I am listening for volume, resonance and sustain -- I have no idea how to "add" "treble" or "bass" Just like Kindead suggests in his publication I am freeing up the sound-board -- I leave the back off for a couple of days thump it in the bridge location occasionally and listen for something pleasing (some might say balanced?) -- if it sounds tight I shave off some "weight" -- I even ask my wife how it sounds to her --- no real science on my part.
Last edited by kencierp on Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I'm not one who believes in a teble side or bass side of the soundboard. My thoughts are along the lines of vibration modes. The lower frequency viration modes utilize most all the lower bout at once. The monopole mode and the main air resonance mode seem to be responsible for most of the bass response. This is where the lower bout moves in and out like a speaker. So my thoughts are that shaving the lower legs in an unbalanced manner interferes with the monopole mode. Now this is my opinion, so isn't worth a lot.

Here is a picture of the chladni pattern of the top on my first build moving in monopole mode. The lines are node lines and represent the portion of the soundboard that isn't moving. So you can see the middle of the lower bout is pumping in and out so can move a lot of air in and out the soundhole. So if the top is moving in this vibration mode it seems obvious that the entire top is involved, not just one side or the other.
229HzRingModeSmall.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slacker......