LMI glue drying to white?

What're You Doing?
ToddStock

Post by ToddStock »

Any of the PVA and AR glues will try white or yellow (TB) if they are used in cooler temps, or have aged to the point where they need to be discarded. LMI White can 'go off' in as little as six months...when it starts drying with a chalky surface or anything other than hard, glossy, and clear, toss it. After having been burned one or twice with LMI White, I test the bottle before use and every month or so after that...scrap is cheap. Currently testing Gorilla Glue White to see if it's a decent substitute...def has a shelf life under two years, as the oldest bottle I have is a 2008, and the glue has separate into an amber liquid and white, chalky paste.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been posted from pMachine.You can read the old posts in the pMachine forum: http://www.KitGuitarsForum.com/forum/th ... 33_0_6_0_C
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

The self life and performance of the LMII Luthier's Glue shows up a lot on the Internet. I did a little investigating, since LMII does not have "as far as I know" a chemistry lab, it simply makes sense that they sell a re-packaged product. Here is the last disclaimer on the LMII MSDS sheet for the glue:Disclaimer: This information is provided in good faith and is correct to the best of Forbo's knowledge as of the date hereof and is designed to assist our customers; however, Forbo makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy. Our products are intended for sale to industrial and commercial customers. We require customers to inspect and test our products before use and to satisfy themselves as to suitability for their specific applications. Any use which Forbo customers or third parties make of this information, or any reliance on, or decisions made based upon it, are the responsibility of such customer or third party. Forbo disclaims responsibility for damages, or liability, of any kind resulting from the use of this information. THERE ARE NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THOSE OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE WITH RESPECT TO THIS INFORMATION OR TO THE PRODUCT IT DESCRIBES. IN NO EVENT SHALL FORBO BE LIABLE FOR SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.Note who is actually the manufacturer of the glue "FORBO" It is strickly my "guess" but since Forbo Fast Tak woodworking adhesives are produced and intended for very quick "dated" factory turn over schedules, shelf life is not a major concern. So again "speculation on my part" it seems to me the six month shelf life factor starts when the five gallon buckets that LMII gets, are filled -- not necessarily when they get around to re-packaging. BTW not sure which LMII advertisment but one can see the pails of glue in the picture.For about 40 years now I have been pleased with "Titebond" original no creep no bridge blow off problems. -- more than $.02 but interesting none the less.Ken CierpKenneth Michael Guitars est. 1978

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been posted from pMachine.You can read the old posts in the pMachine forum: http://www.KitGuitarsForum.com/forum/th ... 33_0_6_0_C
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

So John, what WERE the test results? :0)

This message has been posted from pMachine.You can read the old posts in the pMachine forum: http://www.KitGuitarsForum.com/forum/th ... 77_0_2_0_C
ToddStock

Post by ToddStock »

I prefer the LMI White, but only use it for binding, where the clear glue line is helpful on maple and some other binding woods. Titebond and LMI both creep at elevated temps...I tell folks not to cook their guitars, but use hide because some folks do ;-)

tippie53

Re: LMI glue drying to white?

Post by tippie53 »

Grizzly also has a similar glue. I think you may be on the money here Ken. I had a bad bottle and It left a bad taste in my mouth , but the LMI glue scored well in the glue test posted in Guitarmaker in the last issue. Its numbers well exceed HHG. I may have to try them again.

John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc.
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
kredwards

Post by kredwards »

Hi gang,

I worked at a major glue company for 31 years. We made glue for many of the major suppliers. We sold in tanker loads to the companies that repackaged for the consumer.

I will attest to the fact that glue is hard to preserve. It is prone to microbial attack. It is best to work with glue that is new, unless you have tested it recently. Comparing the price of a guitar to that of a tube of glue, the economics dictate new product.

Kent
JJDonohue

Post by JJDonohue »

Each month I seem to convert more joints to HHG or Fish Glue. As a result, the bottles of TB and LMI White seem to be collecting more dust on the shelf lately.