What is this thing? Stewmac OM plans.

What're You Doing?
ColestineGuitar

Re: What is this thing? Stewmac OM plans.

Post by ColestineGuitar »

Hey, that's great! Thanks for the picture, Ken. I don't see what possible support the cantilever can provide, given that the fretboard, with a much larger surface area, is glued to the top in the exact same area.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Agreed! --- I tell guys and gals to cut it off.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I noticed this in Somogyi's book - he makes quite a point of supporting the extension and reinforcing the soundhole with this type of block.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

To each his own -- if you don't control humidity, the area from the bridge to the neck block will cave in no matter what you glue in there. I don't agree that the neck is forcing the entire upper bout section of the top forward (how can that be?) nor do I agree that the finger-board extension is being compresses against the top and pushing it down- ward. I would agree that there may be a slight increase in the mass of the neck assembly which is said to reduce the tuning fork effect and unwanted energy transfer from the sound board which gets lost through the end of the head stock. $.02
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Maybe after I've squeezed every last bit of sound and tone out of my existing procedures, I will worry about the tiny bit escaping through the neck area. Until then, and that may take one or two more guitars :-) I guess I won't trouble my pretty head about Somogyi's procedure. Thank goodness.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

John Hall can chime in but I had heard Martin added this piece of material to help control lengthwise cracks along the fingerboard edges.

Build a guitar with a butt joint neck and free floating FB extension. I did just that and still have it in my shop -- for me it dispels some common guitar making conventional wisdom.
JRHall

Post by JRHall »

Martin actually uses it as a clamping caul for the fret board extension. Really handy during assembly, but no use afterwards.
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

You can see that upper part is glued on , To make it out of a single piece would be pretty wasteful . I can assure you , the blocks have been glued up since the started this design . The original block omitted that piece. I am not sure of the date when they started using that .
It can sometimes appear to be a single piece but look close and you can see the glue line at that point . Jim is correct it is just a production time saver .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Tony_in_NYC wrote:Looks like a Flux Capacitor to me. Only Doc Brown or Marty McFly can help you with that.
Be careful, it takes 1.21 gigawatts to attach or remove one!
Tim Benware