Radiusing the bridge before gluing.

What're You Doing?
johnnparchem

Radiusing the bridge before gluing.

Post by johnnparchem »

I know this discussion occurred in a previous thread and it is very much related to a current thread on top radius.
I am about to glue the bridge onto my classical guitar so I built a 25' radius sanding board to put the radius on the back of the bridge. I know there was a discussion about gluing it flat or radiusing it on the top itself to match the built radius on the top. I thought this through and decided to treat the bridge as any other brace and put a complementary radius on the bridge to match the 25' radius I put on the the fan bracing, and the radius of the solera I work in. I realize that I am using a cylindrical radius instead of a dome.
I was hoping to find the old thread that discussed radiusing the bridge before gluing but was not successful in my search. I would love to hear any different opinions
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kencierp

Re: Radiusing the bridge before gluing.

Post by kencierp »

John I think what you've done so fair should work great -- However, I doubt that the fan bracing has retained much of the contour, so I would suggest that you true up the glue surface using the guitar as a form as shown below. I am not a big fan of doming the top of a classic since the string tension really tends to yank a natural bulge into the thin lightly braced soundboard.

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/bridgeprep.html
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Thanks Ken,

You are correct that the fan braces do not hold the dome, thus my thought about reinforcing it with the bridge. Thanks for the reminder that the string tension pulls a dome on a lightly braced classical. I think I will switch to the method you show. Than is what I did on my last classical guitar.

John
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Using the domed dish like you have let's you get the bridge contoured faster. I have one too but I always finish up on the guitar.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Tony_in_NYC wrote:Using the domed dish like you have let's you get the bridge contoured faster. I have one too but I always finish up on the guitar.
+1 and DITTO. Always works great for me that way.
Tim Benware
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

See? Tim knows the deal.
ColestineGuitar

Post by ColestineGuitar »

This is an interesting thread. I saw a video online where a luthier made a reverse version of his radius dish (using fixall or water putty) and used that convex surface as a sanding block for his bridge. But now I see that you should still finish up on the actual guitar top.

Don't believe everything you see on the internet.
Slowest builder on the forum. These things take time. Apparently.