First Build - help along the way

What're You Doing?
darren

Post by darren »

Kent,I would think that the back should be curved and the top still flat at this point. In other words the back should rock a bit on your bench. An email to lmi will let you know exactly how they profile the sides and what is left for you to do in the way of profiling - they've been helpful to me in the past.Someone else here experienced with the serviced kits should be able to help as well. (my kit was unserviced)darren

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been posted from pMachine.You can read the old posts in the pMachine forum: http://www.KitGuitarsForum.com/forum/th ... 36_0_6_0_C
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Kent,The sides from LMI are bent, but not sized. They should be the same width all along the length, which means either edge can be top, or bottom, your choice. They will also be too long, and you cut them to length. Then you flatten what will be the top, and the back edge gets contoured/tapered.Kevin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been posted from pMachine.You can read the old posts in the pMachine forum: http://www.KitGuitarsForum.com/forum/th ... 97_0_6_0_C
kredwards

Post by kredwards »

I did talk to someone at LMI and was just as confused as when I started. It turns out that LMI did do some of the shaping of the sides for my serviced kit.I watched a couple of YouTube videos by John Hall of Blues Creek Guitar about side bending. These were very helpful. Two ways to determine the bottom are:1. Place the sides on edge on a flat surface. Place a straight edge at the waist. If the straight edge rocks, it this edge is shaped and thus the bottom. Doing this to the top edge of the sides will have little or no rocking.2. Place the sides edge to edge. If they match well with little or no gaps, these are the top edges. If there are gaps at the neck and tail (?) end, ie. the waists are higher, these are the bottom edges.This seems to be true. Now to cut the sides and glue in the heel and end blocks.What fun.

This message has been posted from pMachine.You can read the old posts in the pMachine forum: http://www.KitGuitarsForum.com/forum/th ... d=_0_6_0_C
johnnparchem

Re: First Build - help along the way

Post by johnnparchem »

I just finished an LMI clasical kit. The serviced sides are bent but not sized. They will be a bit too long on the top and bottom and the back side will need to be shaped. I used a table saw and a very good blade to rip the sides to a bit more than the tall width of the side I then used a small block plane (very sharp) to shape the back side of the ribs to close to final size.