Starting to build a Mark Stanley Acoustic Bass Guitar Kit.

What're You Doing?
johnnparchem

Starting to build a Mark Stanley Acoustic Bass Guitar Kit.

Post by johnnparchem »

While waiting for the remodel and dust to end at my house I decided to start to build an acoustic bass guitar. I have been talking with a bass guitar player in Seattle who has been giving me input on features and ultimately the electrons to put in the guitar. I chose as the bases of the guitar a Mark Stanley design. The idea is to build a bass guitar that could hold it’s own while playing with a group of guitars in an intimate environment. For any real performance I want it to sound good amplified as well. While doing research of the guitar I found out that Waldron had a Mark Stanley kit for sale. I worked with Kevin at Waldron instruments to customize the kit. The quality of the wood I got from Waldron was great. The red cedar top put the redwood I have been using to shame. The mahogany back is outstanding. I am really excited about this project and will blog as I go. I spend today making a pile of saw dust building the form. You would not believe how big this guitar is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadedith

Re: Starting to build a Mark Stanley Acoustic Bass Guitar Ki

Post by deadedith »

This will be fun to watch!
David L

Post by David L »

I find it interesting that you have quite a diversified range of stringed instruments that you are interested/willing to build. In my opinion, that's gutsy!

David L
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Agree!, I'll sure be watching this build.

I assume it will be a 4 string like a traditional electric bass? If I had time, I would love to build an upright acoustic bass.
Slacker......
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Darryl Young wrote:Agree!, I'll sure be watching this build.

I assume it will be a 4 string like a traditional electric bass? If I had time, I would love to build an upright acoustic bass.
This will be a four string bass. Btw. my long term goal is to build a double bass. That will be one big fiddle. I need a lot more practice carving and more space.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Very cool project John. It will great to watch as you build it.
Thanks for sharing.

Kevin
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

This looks like a cool project! The wood is really nice. Keep the pictures coming!
darren

Post by darren »

that is a crazy back! i love it!
Darren