All cedar guitar

What're You Doing?
David L

Re: All cedar guitar

Post by David L »

The degree comes from the "infamous" school (UHK) that was originally based in San Francisco (Haight Ashbury district) in the late 60's but very rapidly expanded campuses all across the nation. The degree is not recognized on the same academic level as other degrees in the same field as it is issued from the less prestigous University of Hard Knocks.

David L
Oval Soundhole

Post by Oval Soundhole »

I'm building a Modified dreadnought that I designed with the help of Mr. Somogyi, yes it is different than his. I'm wondering if Mario will think it's ok if I use spruce for the x brace though...
Rock over london. Rock on Chicago. Wheaties, breakfast of champions
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

It won't be "all cedar" then, will it? Cedar brace wood is part of the package, isn't it?

Post by   »

johnnparchem wrote:I have been using western red cedar for the top of the last two of my guitars. It splits really easily. I would be worried about keeping the the sides intact until the box is closed. I am happy with my red cedar top and spanish cedar back and sides guitar. But I have been told that spanish cedar is offically a hardwood, and neither spanish nor cedar.
Yesterday I took delivery of a western red cedar top which split in transit, even though well packed.

tb
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

It can be splitty for sure. Too bad about the too breaking.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

tommyboy wrote:
johnnparchem wrote:I have been using western red cedar for the top of the last two of my guitars. It splits really easily. I would be worried about keeping the the sides intact until the box is closed. I am happy with my red cedar top and spanish cedar back and sides guitar. But I have been told that spanish cedar is offically a hardwood, and neither spanish nor cedar.
Yesterday I took delivery of a western red cedar top which split in transit, even though well packed.

tb
Sorry about the top hopefully they can ship you out another one. Was the top already glued and profiled? I like when Waldron instrument ships glued and profiled tops shrink wraped to a thin piece of plywood. I save and use the wood to make templates. LMI ships them packed between card board sheets.