microwave bending

What're You Doing?
deadedith

microwave bending

Post by deadedith »

For a small patching job - I have to bend a piece of eir - 1" long, 1/2" wide - what would the microwave oven method look like? 10-15 seconds or so? Should water be involved?
Thanks

edit - Actually I just found this online, so I'm good to go:
To generate steam when microwaving, wrap the wood in a piece of wet paper towel, place it in a microwave oven and microwave it on high. The exact amount of time needed to heat a piece of wood will vary depending on the size of the wood that you are bending, as well as the thickness of the wood so do experiment a little. Err on the side of caution until you are very comfortable with using this method and understand the heating requirements. I would recommend starting out by heating wood for 20 seconds and testing to see how pliable the wood is at that time and continuing on.
johnnparchem

Re: microwave bending

Post by johnnparchem »

Give it a try! I would wrap the wood in damp paper towel as the microwave heats by vibrating water molecules. The wood will heat with its moisture but it will get some help with the additional water. I never tried wood but I am a cook. I would try 1 minute increments.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

That's an interesting concept. I've used it to flatten pick guards that have warped. I put the PG in a flat glass casserole dish, cover with 1/2" or so of water and bring to a boil. Then let it set until it cools. The PG will form to the flat bottom of the dish. Works like a charm.
Tim Benware
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Worked fine - microwave high, wrap in a wet paper towel, took about two minutes. I had it thinned down to the right measurement first.
Woody OKeefe

Post by Woody OKeefe »

Dave,

You are definitely not Old School! LOL Very hot idea..ouch
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

What I need is a long thin microwave for sides!! LOL