Glueing fb to neck

What're You Doing?
David L

Glueing fb to neck

Post by David L »

I know this has been covered before but after an exhausting 20 to 30 second search without luck I decided to go ahead and ask. I'm ready to glue the fb to the neck and I think I should run some glue in the bottom of the truss rod channel but I not sure which type of glue, also I don't remember if I'm supposed to avoid getting glue on top of the truss rod when I glue on the fb. I'm using a two-way truss rod.

David L
johnnparchem

Re: Glueing fb to neck

Post by johnnparchem »

I had one that was in heat shrink that I glued in, The other was not glued in but I do not remember if we used silicon caulk.

Here are the LMI guidlines -

The channel you route for the truss rod should seat the rod as snuggly as possible. Especially at the ends. Some use a rounded bit for a round-bottomed channel, but this is not necessary.
If you are adjusting through the soundhole, the other end (non-adjustment) should be seated an inch or so away from the nut (towards the bridge).

Most luthiers do not glue in the truss rod, though some choose to epoxy the metal case that comes with the TRMR Martin ™ style rod to the walls of the channel .

It is a good idea to add some silicon caulking to the channel to help prevent against rattling.
Cover the channel with some thin tape so that when you glue you fingerboard down no glue gets on to the truss rod. Some choose to add a wood shim over the square stock instead of using tape.
tippie53

Re: Glueing fb to neck

Post by tippie53 »

The truss rod uses a filler . Silicone is one. I use tite bond , all you are doing is filling voids. This helps to keep the truss rod from making buzzing noises . The open rods like the stem mac design should use the caulk .
Don't think of it as the rod fixed to the neck to make it work , it is more of the rod pushing against the neck to make the adjustments .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com