One pic, one thousand less swear words

What're You Doing?
deadedith

Re: One pic, one thousand less swear words

Post by deadedith »

Thanks Tony, just hope these things don't come in threes!
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Would my lawn insult be #3? If so, you are in the clear.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Tony_in_NYC wrote:You say rude, I say helpful. It's the whole "tomato/ tomato" argument. Hmmm...in print it makes little sense, but I trust you know I pronounced tomato differently the second time.
Poplar makes a fine guitar. Sorry for your double tragedy today. Hopefully things will get better soon.
Yeah but Tony, you got it backwards it's "tomato/tomato." See the difference!?

Tim B
Tim Benware
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

You are right. I see my error now. Thanks!
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

deadedith wrote:I can upon occasion turn a nifty phrase, but there is no need on THIS occasion.
DaveB

BTW, suggestions welcomed.

Maybe I am missing something (this is probably the case) but if the ball ends of the strings will be in contact with the bridge plate, would you really need to change it? Bridge rotation could be a factor, but you have the entire plate in front of the bridge to counter that.
Hopefully the more experienced members of the forum will weigh in on this. I understand that the bridge plate is there for the following resons:
1) Support the ball ends of the strings from pulling through the soft spruce
2) Prevent the bridge from rotating forward under the string tension
3) Some other reason I am missing

What, other than bridge rotation, could result from DaveB's misplaced bridge plate?
FYI: I drilled my bridge pin holes last night and did not miss my bridge plate, but this is a fear I have. Also, more than routing the binding channels, drilling into the top of my lacquered guitar is more nerve wracking for me. If I misplace the bridge, ther is not much chance I will get the guitar to play in tune without some serious repairs.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Since I do have the two holes drilled in the correct spot, and I do have Ken's bridge-gluing jig, I could use said jig to clamp on and glue an extension to the existing bridge quite easily.

I'm still trying to figure out how it happened; I mean it's not rocket surgery to place the thing.
Unless.....this being a cutaway....in my zeal to keep that headblock absolutely square against the pull of the cutaway portion of the rim, I pushed the block too far, far enough to cause the problem. I'll measure the total length of the body to see if it is a bit too short. I'll bet that's it.

DaveB
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I ended up gluing a 1/2" extension to the plate. I got a very good fit, not hard at all, the glue is drying now.
The guitar is a little shorter than it should be - I think just enough to throw off the bridge plate location.
All seems to be well - the repair is not visible and should work fine.
Thanks for the input. John, if I had your skills the cello sponge may have been the way I went. If I had your skills I would not have put myself in that position...:-)
DaveB
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Tony, that was only 2% less........not the 5% shown in your guarantee.........just sayin.
Slacker......