One pic, one thousand less swear words

What're You Doing?
deadedith

One pic, one thousand less swear words

Post by deadedith »

I can upon occasion turn a nifty phrase, but there is no need on THIS occasion.
DaveB

BTW, suggestions welcomed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: One pic, one thousand less swear words

Post by tippie53 »

Ok this isn't fatal you just have the bridge plate at the wrong spot. If you used tite bond this is an easy fix. Take a cello sponge and soak in in water and wring out the worse of the water. Shape it like the plate , then lay it on the plate and let set on the plate for 24 hrs.
The plate may take up to 48 hrs depending on the thickness and you can now put in a new plate once the old one is out and the top dries off.
john
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

That's not too bad. Of course, I may make another plate exactly the same size as this one and have to do it a second time, but we'll hope not.
Why does your method work? I did use titebond. Won't the water loosen the glue under the x braces? If I did glue theY on. yeah, I probably did..:-)
DaveB
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Martin has been using this technique for a long time. The water allows the glue to release. I do clamp the x braces once the plate comes out to reset.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I don't think I'm set up to clamp braces inside the completed box. What do I need for that task?
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Well, this happened 15 minutes ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Looks like you picked the wrong day to avoid cussin'! On the bright side, you might get some guitar wood from that tree. The instrument would have a good story! What kind of tree do it be?
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Not to pour salt in your wounds but your lawn needs some tending to. You have quite a few dandelions. Just sayin'.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I believe we are talkin' poplar. The reason it's down, and this will answer your totally rude and funny question - is the land around here is saturated. There are 3 spring under this acre, and the water table is not very deep even in summer, and we have had a lot of rain. Too wet to even mow the lawn - the mower sinks in, thus the dandy lions.

If you want poplar, better hurry, I'm going to start cutting it up tomorrow.
DaveB
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

You say rude, I say helpful. It's the whole "tomato/ tomato" argument. Hmmm...in print it makes little sense, but I trust you know I pronounced tomato differently the second time.
Poplar makes a fine guitar. Sorry for your double tragedy today. Hopefully things will get better soon.