Red Oak well on its way

What're You Doing?
Guitar Hack

Re: Red Oak well on its way

Post by Guitar Hack »

I have been thinking of an Oak Guitar as well. Would love to hear how it sounds.
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Dave, that is going to be a nice guitar! You going to pore fill that oak? I've built a lot of oak furniture. It's a great wood to work with, but I have never tried to pore fill it. I usually just used a wipe on varnish. There is guy I now around here who also builds guitars, and he absolutely loves oak as a tone wood.

Ken
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I am going to pore fill it! My method is to sand in the finish, creating a slurry that matches color perfectly and fills the pores without much fuss. So far, that has worked.
I'm encouraged to hear your friend's opinion on RO as a tone wood.
DaveB
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Just to clarify, KMG’s decision to offer Red Oak kits like this one we provided for Dave is not a lark and without precedent – just look up “Taylor Pallet Guitars” these instruments are made of low grade recycled Oak, but just the same, reviews indicate they have outstanding sound quality. The material used in our RO kits is premium ¼ sawn and very well seasoned.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

There is nothing wrong with Red or white oak as a tone wood. Martin had built some in the early days .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com