3 piece back measurements?

What're You Doing?
jread

3 piece back measurements?

Post by jread »

Hello all,

I am considering a Martin style "D35" three-piece back in rosewood for my next build. Would anyone happen to have the measurements of how wide the center triangle is at the top and bottom? I imagine this is one of those "it doesn't matter as long as it looks good" measurements but in pictures I'm looking at they look at lot wider at the base than I expected. Who knows they might vary. I can just go with what looks good but was wondering if there's a standard size here. Looks like the top part is set to match the heel. That looks nice. If you have a D35 and would be willing to measure it, please indicate if you included the center strips.

Bonus points if you have those measurements in 0-size back as well. I might do it in an 0 but can use a D35 to get the ratio and just shrink it down.

Here's a pic I found online of the look I'm going for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jread

Re: 3 piece back measurements?

Post by jread »

Now that I think about it more, it probably depends on how wide the outer plates are to start with. I know this style came about as wider rosewood was becoming scarce. So maybe we just need to determine center piece width by how wide the outer plates can be for the project. In my situation, I have full size outer plates but will cut them down to fit in a triangle cut out of a spare side that is 5" wide.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I think you could pretty easily determine the bottom by percentages of the top width.....same as the heel, and eyeball it.
Close would be close enough for "the look"
What are you going to pair with the EIR?
jread

Post by jread »

Thanks. Yes, I had planned on eyeballing it but the pictures I looked at surprised me at how much wider they were than what I had drawn out. I'm sure narrow would be fine too. For this one, my 1st, I plan to use 3 pieces of East Indian rosewood. The two outside plates are bookmatched but the grain goes pretty diagonal which is what gave me the idea to cut them and rotate so the grain is more vertical but that left me needing a 3rd piece for the middle. I considered mahogany or figured maple in the middle but am going to build a vintage looking instrument so am just going with a 3rd but not matched piece of Indian Rosewood. I'll post a pic here when I get it moving.
Kevin Sjostrand

3 piece EIR would be my choice also.

I have some pear wood that isn't wide enough for 2 piece and I've considered doing the same with all pear, with maybe a narrow maple purfling between each, then doing maple binding to match it up.

I know you'll make yours look good!!
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

This is a treat to read - - - When we build for ourselves, we can do any damned thing we want and there's nobody to fuss or judge. Just have a ball!
peter havriluk
jread

Post by jread »

Here’s the rough idea. I know the original two plates would work fine together but the grain just didn’t catch my fancy. I think it’ll work a lot better in the 3 piece. Decided on Dred size for this build. I’ll put some b/w/b purfling in the seams to match the pinstripes I plan on for the rim.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

I think that looks pretty good.
Use purfling between to set them off.
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Hey John. That is nice IRW. Th only thing that jumps out to me is that I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 3 pc back where the middle piece didn’t go all the way to the neck heel. I had a ‘68 D-35 and if memory serves, the center piece went to the heel.
I’m having a hard time visualizing how the center piece purfling will meet the back strip on the 2 piece section near the heel. All of this is most likely due to my ignorance, but, I just can’t figure out how this all finishes out. Do you have any examples of a finished back layed out this way? I’d like to learn if there is something I’ve never seen before.
Thx
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

This is my old D-35 back:
IMG_0015.jpeg