Quality of Tops that are not fully quarter sawn?

What're You Doing?
enalnitram

Re: Quality of Tops that are not fully quarter sawn?

Post by enalnitram »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote: If they are not, then I'll sell them to Martin for a song.
"I got the 17% off quarter blues, I got the 17% off quarter redwood top Baaaaahluuuuuuuz!"
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

haaaaaaa haaaaa haaaaaaaa haaaaaaaa.
That was great Martin.

Kevin
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Well...there is Martin's song, you owe him some tops now!!
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Kevin, I was just reading some old posts by Al Carruth and he was stating the cross grain stiffness falls off quickly when the board is cut off quarter. Might be something you want test when you receive the top.
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

Yeah Darryl, and that makes alot of sense. Stiffness length wise probably would not change much. My inexperience might be getting the best of me here, but I can't see this amount off quarter mattering very much (I hope I don't eat those words later), and the bracing is going to stiffen the top across and support it....at least that makes alot of sense to me.
I should have them by Friday and I'm anxious to see them.

Kevin
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Kevin you are correct in your logic

Guidelines and preferences are just that --- nothing more.

As stated many times before, a guitar as a musical instrument reflects the sum of all its parts and how each effects the other. There is no "silver bullet".
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Keep a building log and as you go you will have hard copy to see the cause and effect relationship . Wood is an amazing substance . Just when you think you have it figured out , you learn something new that throws all into the air .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Well I want to report that I purchased two redwood tops, they arrived today, and I think they are going to be great. They are as described, about 17% off quarter, maybe a little less. The grain is very tight. Although they are still thick at 3/16", they are very stiff now and I think they will be when thicknessed. I can't imagine the strength across the grain is going to be compromised much. They look awesome too, nice even color with only minor streaking. I am very happy, and the price was great too.
When the building commences, I will give another report on how they do in the building process.
Thank you all for your interest and input. I LOVE doing this, wish I could be building all the time.

Kevin
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

IF there is one thing I have learned , is that just about anything can work . I have seen many different top woods used . Often the graining was from quartered to pretty far off . As I have gained more experience I do prefer the well quartered tops from split billets .
On beginners instruments , you are still learning and joinery is the most important part . Fit and finish issues are hard to master but you need to if you want to become a commercial venue . There are many documented cases of "Pallet" guitars made . Taylor , Bob Benedetto Martin and a few others made guitars out of wood that was bought or salvaged . Nothing about it was considered luthier grade but it still make a decent sounding guitar . If you want to sell these things you have to master the eye appeal part . That is getting the pretty and good stuff. Good luck
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com