3 piece back measurements?

What're You Doing?
jread

Re: 3 piece back measurements?

Post by jread »

BlindBo wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:55 pm This is my old D-35 back:
IMG_0015.jpeg
Hey thanks for that note. yeah, I agree, I didn't mean to lay it out that way, it was just a rough view of how all 3 look together. I plan to do it the same way you describe and how d35's are set with the neck heel end just like in your photo. That's a beauty by the way. I also plan to use black/white/black purfling like that.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the back wedges were 6 in wide at the bottom and aps 1 1/4 at the top. that varies a little but not too much. They did this to use up the narrower brw they had . by 69 BRW was pretty much done at Martin on production instruments. Every now and then one pops up but this allowed them to use the stockpile up.

John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
jread

Post by jread »

Looking pretty good. My drum sander has only about 10" of workable area so glued on the maple/rosewood/maple binding to the middle piece then sanded 3 separate sections down about .117". These plates aren't even glued together yet. I'm considering replacing the strips as the outside maple piece got a little narrow at the bottom end but eh, it might be ok. Wouldn't be hard to re-do them however. Now that the plates are sanded, it might be easier, more accurate to just to glue them in then use a hand plane and sander to bring them flush. Ok, talked myself into it. That narrow maple strip is bugging me.

The back looks a lot better to me than just the 2 book-matched plates so I'm very happy with this start.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Beautiful!!
jread

Post by jread »

Ok. All glued up. Replaced strips. 4 7/8” at base. Houston, we have a back. Calling it good ready to move on. Thanks for letting me share and process thru the new trick.

Just wiped with naphtha.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
banjopicks

Post by banjopicks »

That looks really good.

I plan on doing something similar after finishing my current guitars. I have a piece of rosewood that is only 7" wide and some Brazilian that is 3" wide. I might double the Braz to get these dimensions.