John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
johnnparchem

Re: Plate joining question

Post by johnnparchem »

kinspeed wrote:I got the post war Stanley No.6 for $45, it's in really good shape. The blade needed some work so I sharpened it by hand, thanks to Paul Sellers, got it set right in the plane and it is shaving translucent shavings. I'm building my shooting board for it tomorrow and then it's joining the tops and backs.
When planing the joint pay attention to how you start and how you finish a pass with the plane. When starting have your weight forward of the cut by the time you finish the pass your weight should be behind the cut. The idea is to always take advantage of the flat sole of plane. If your weight is behind the cut when you start you will take too much off of the leading edge of the plates if your weight is ahead of the cut when you finish you will take too much of the trailing edge of the plate. At the point that you are getting full continuous shavings look to see how the plates match up. If there is a gap at the ends take a few strokes starting in the inside of the edge. Then take a couple slow cuts paying attention to how the leading edge of the sole matches the plate at the beginning and how the trailing edge of the plane's sole matches the plate on the trailing edge of the plate. I only write this as when I started to use a plane it seemed impossible to get a flat edge. Now I barely think about it.
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

johnnparchem wrote:
kinspeed wrote:I got the post war Stanley No.6 for $45, it's in really good shape. The blade needed some work so I sharpened it by hand, thanks to Paul Sellers, got it set right in the plane and it is shaving translucent shavings. I'm building my shooting board for it tomorrow and then it's joining the tops and backs.
When planing the joint pay attention to how you start and how you finish a pass with the plane. When starting have your weight forward of the cut by the time you finish the pass your weight should be behind the cut. The idea is to always take advantage of the flat sole of plane. If your weight is behind the cut when you start you will take too much off of the leading edge of the plates if your weight is ahead of the cut when you finish you will take too much of the trailing edge of the plate. At the point that you are getting full continuous shavings look to see how the plates match up. If there is a gap at the ends take a few strokes starting in the inside of the edge. Then take a couple slow cuts paying attention to how the leading edge of the sole matches the plate at the beginning and how the trailing edge of the plane's sole matches the plate on the trailing edge of the plate. I only write this as when I started to use a plane it seemed impossible to get a flat edge. Now I barely think about it.
Thank you very much for the tips. As I read what you wrote, I thought about my practice planning. As I started to notice some of what you referenced and as I practiced more it was a bit more natural to do as you described.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm sure the Stanley will work great for you.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

I was working on a practice top yesterday. Getting a perfect joint was like chasing my tail. I ordered a new blade and some DMT stones. The old blade really needed work and I don't think I got it right. It cut well but that's it.