Purfling - BWB and WBW - can they coexist?

What're You Doing?
Bruce Dow

Re: Purfling - BWB and WBW - can they coexist?

Post by Bruce Dow »

Thanks to all for the thoughtful and helpful comments.

Coach Bob... I will go check out the Acoustic Guitar Forum. I'm not a member there, but have found it occasionally when searching topics from Google.

Ken Cierp... thanks for that advice... I will be sure to "separate the lights and darks" (just like laundry, I guess).

Ken C. Thanks for the pictures. That is EXACTLY the look I am going for. I had been looking far and wide for an example. I just hope I can do it justice. I can't wait to show my "build partner" (daughter) a picture of the look I've been trying to describe to her.

I WILL add a white strip inside the binding on the top.

I love the binding on your fretboard, too. I have done something similar, except with a little wb strip between.

As always, time spent on this forum is "worth the price of admission" (grin)

Thanks again.
Bruce Dow

Post by Bruce Dow »

If I posted ALL my bonehead moves, there wouldn't be enough room on the forum to store them.

But this one was pretty good...

Was pretty pleased with my end graft (whatever we call that piece) .... until I found that I used .040 purfling when the purfling on the binding was .060.

Duh.

We'll carve it out and try again....

naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Bruce, just miter that at maybe a 30 deg/60 deg angle (or something close) instead of a 45, and see.
Just test some small pieces to see what angle looks best and go with it. I don't see that much problem really.
I know it's not what you want, but I bet a good sharp angle on that would put it right in line and look good.
Or just let the line along the binding continue around.
Bruce Dow

Post by Bruce Dow »

neat idea... to make an "oblique" miter to match it up.

But I've already ordered the right size purfling. It'll only take me 15 minutes to set up the dremel to route out the channel again. I have some spare rosewood to make another piece.

It'll be OK.

I just posted for the "entertainment value"...
Bruce Dow

Post by Bruce Dow »

Well... after two weeks "in the penalty box" (waiting for Stew-Mac international shipping), I was able to get back to my binding.

I carved out the old graft, and re-did with the right size purfling. I made a new graft with the grain sideways... I am not sure what the convention is on that, but it makes sense that the grain should be crosswise to the graft.

PS. Thanks Ken C for the suggestion to use wbwb purfling beside the rosewood binding. It looks great.
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Bruce, glad it worked for you. Looks nice! I tend to run my end graft grain vertical, but I tend to use woods with more contrast. The joy of building your own guitar is you can do it how you want!!

Ken
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Nicely done!
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Looks great! I too typically run the grain 90 degrees from the side grain, but mearely as another way to create a little distinction in the end graft. I suppose some argument could be made about the structural reasons for doing so....cross grain support in preventing the tail block from splitting at the end pin, maybe.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan