Re-filling nut slots

What're You Doing?
naccoachbob

Re-filling nut slots

Post by naccoachbob »

Two of the nut slots I cut are a little too deep, just a bit. I have some buzzing on the open strings when I hit them just over moderately.
I have some baking soda and CA.
I just need a picture in my mind of how to fill the slots.
It shouldn't take very much at all.
Do I mix the CA and baking soda on a board and just use a small stick or tooth pick to put it on the slots?
Thanks,
Bob
Ken Hundley

Re: Re-filling nut slots

Post by Ken Hundley »

You could do it that way, or you could just fill the slots with baking soda and drop some CA on it. I did it that way, then wiped across the nut as it was drying. Had very little cleanup that way.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Bob,
I have done this and it works great.
Sprinkle a little bit of the baking soda in the slot. Blow or brush away any excess. Take a tooth pick and put a little drop of super glue on the end, and place the drop in the slot. It will harden in just a couple of minutes, then you can re-file the slot. Build it up this way as much as you need. It doesn't even show when you are done.

Kevin
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

You'll need a CA bottle whisker tip applicator and a fine artist brush --- fill the slot with baking soda, use a toothpick or piece of wire to approximate the slot by pushing it into the soda, use the brush to dust off the excess from the FB and headstock. Carefully put a tiny droplet of CA on the baking soda. This type of repair is amazingly durable -- used this trick many, many times.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Bob, the baking soda will likely harden instantly when the CA touches it. I doubt you will be able to mix it up then apply the mixture to the slot. Last I tried this (not on a nut slot) the CA set very fast releasing a lot of heat and smoke. It sets very hard which is a good thing for the nut slot. So, I'm thinking your only option is to fill the bottom of the nut slot with baking soda using a toothpick or something to control the depth of the baking soda. Clean up around the rest of the nut as Kevin suggested so CA doesn't wick into some fine BS dust on the surface of the nut. Control the amount and rate you apply the CA. If nothing else, use the tip of an exacto blade.....dip it into the CA then put a tiny drop in the nut slot.
Slacker......
Tom West

Post by Tom West »

I have found this to cause a corrosion problem on the string where it crosses over the nut. Bone dust and CA are a better option in my opinion.
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

put me down for bone dust and ca
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
darren

Post by darren »

what is the corrosion problem? is it that the baking soda is more abrasive than the bone dust? Or it does it result in a harder surface than the bone? just curious.
Darren
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I've been using CA and baking soda long-- long --- long before the idea was ever on the Internet and never had a problem -- if you have bone dust that is great too.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

BTW side bar --- google baking soda and you will find that it is an excellent chemical for "removing corrosion! I had forgot that I indeed have use it in that way in the past --- Go figure?