BladerunnerTremelo Placement ?

Dobroguy

BladerunnerTremelo Placement ?

Post by Dobroguy »

I am about to install a Bladerunner tremolo unit onto my kit Strat guitar. There aren't any holes drilled in the body for the attachment screws. I can move the trem fore and aft quite a lot in the rout and I'm unsure where to actually drill the mounting holes. I've tried contacting the manufacturer via E-mail but I get no response. Can anyone share some advice?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dobroguy

Re: BladerunnerTremelo Placement ?

Post by Dobroguy »

PS: there are lots of YouTube videos showing the installation of this Tremolo but they all show removing the original unit and replacing it with the Bladerunner using the existing screw holes. None cover where exactly to place the unit properly. I want to do that only once, correctly.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

this will be set based to scale length so measure the 12th fret time 2 and .1 in that should get you close then you can adjust the intonation per string
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Dobroguy

Post by Dobroguy »

Thanks for the feedback John. However, for me it's a little more complicated than that. The scale length is standard Strat @ 25 1/2". The Bladerunner unit comes roughly dialed in for intonation as shown below. So, each string is different. The main thing I want to avoid is screwing it down where I don't have enough intonation adjustment.

I'm also confused about how much space I should actually leave between the front of the tone block and the routed wood body. I'm thinking about 1/16" space might be right to allow up & down bar movement when the back end of the Tremolo is floating about 3/32" above the face of the guitar.

Hope this all makes sense. Anyway, I'm sure I will figure it out eventually. A trip to the local music store to see how a Fender unit is set up will probably shed some light.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

that isn't dialed in they are just screwed together so you set on up about in the middle measure the G strings and there you go. That is how I set electric adjustable bridges
Al long as your close your adjustable saddle will let you get perfect intonation Don't over think it. The bridge system is irrelevant the saddle position is critical
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Dobroguy

Post by Dobroguy »

Once again John comes to the rescue proving experience Trumps inexperience. First I set all the saddles to the middle positions. I then provided 1/16" clearance at the front of the tone bar and drilled the four mounting holes. I strung up the guitar and set the action equal to my great playing Telecaster. The intonation was virtually perfect from the get go except for the high E string. It did require a minor tweek. I'd be a happy camper if it wasn't for an unexpected wiring problem where I don't have middle pickup sound. I'll solve that issue tomorrow.

Thanks John.