335 Kit from RMOlson guitars

rustyjuggler

335 Kit from RMOlson guitars

Post by rustyjuggler »

Hi

I have just bought a 335 kit from RMOlson (http://www.rmolsonguitars.com/) and there are no instructions so I thought I would ask some questions here before I start doing something irreversible. I have built an acoustic kit, but this is my first electric.

As you see it is spalted maple and it has a few small dents I will fill with wood filler and sand down before I start with the rest.
So my questions:
- As far as I can read online it is normal to glue the neck to the body for Gibson style guitars and that seems to be what is meant here, is this correct?
- Should I glue the neck to the body before I do the finishing?
- When I glue the neck to the body I have to check that it is angled correctly. The sideways angle I understand how to check, but should I measure to the bridge and put a straightedge along the frets to see that it just graces the bridge?
- How much should I measure from the twelfth fret to the bridge? I have read about some extra compensation in addition to the distance from the nut to the twelfth fret.
- Where do I measure to on the roller bridge? In the middle to allow compensation?
FIngerpickinTim

Re: 335 Kit from RMOlson guitars

Post by FIngerpickinTim »

HI, I am new to this forum and saw this post. I have never built a guitar before and was considering buying from RM Olson for my first build.... did this guitar come together for you? Are you happy with the quality? Did RM help you answer the questions you had? I'm curious why none of your questions were answered here.... if you finished the build would you be willing to share a pic and your overall thoughts on it? Thanks. -Tim