A new OM is hitting the work bench.

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
John Reid

Re: A new OM is hitting the work bench.

Post by John Reid »

What's the wood on the back of the headstock? (sorry if you said it an I missed it).
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

That is black walnut burl. I have a hodge podge going on here.
Claro walnut B & S, Curly maple binding, ebony HS, end cap, fretboard and bridge, Curly Koa end wedge, black walnut back strap, Spanish cedar neck. All finished off with a redwood top with an abalone rosette with Bwbw purflings.

Somehow I think it will look alright when done.
Kevin Sjostrand

Working on my screw down fretboard extension system.

I have a simple routing jig that I position on the center line.
Cut with a pattern bit the 1 5/8" x 2 5/8" pocket, 1/2" deep.
Then I cut a block of mahogany to fit in the pocket and thin it too about .490" thick so it's just below the top surface when sitting in the pocket. Then I cut out a section that will let the block fit around the tenon.

I realized I was out of the hardware for this, the T nuts and machine screws so I had to order them today. My local HD store used to carry the stainless machine screws I use but no longer for some reason. So more later on this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

It looks like I have at least 10 days ahead of mostly sunny, high 60's to high 70's days so I'm going to set up the spray booth probably tomorrow and start spraying my archtop and the OM that is just about finished.

I have the archtop masked off. I have to spray some of the amber under the fretboard extension and on the top under the extension before gluing the neck on.
I'll do that, attach the neck and then complete the finish work.
I'm doing a sunburst.....my first. I think ive settled on a 3 color burst. Amber, tobacco brown and black.
I have cherry red but I think I'll have too much trouble with the fading with that color, plus I really like the 3 color guitars I've seen. So that's what I'm going to try for.

The OM is getting a clear gloss lacquer job like I usually do.
My screws are arriving Wednesday for the fretboard extension but in reality I can go ahead and spray the guitar since I do it neck off anyway.

Onward!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Alright
The finishing has begun. I'll do my best and go slow, watch for runs, etc.
I haven't sprayed a hanging guitar in years.

So the booth is up in the backyard. Most of you have seen this before. 10 x 10ft patio covered with a tarp. 10 x 10ft pop up, wrapped in plastic tarp. It's worked well for many a guitar.

I'm hanging the guitar from paracord that pulls over the top cornice on the pop-up frame and hooks off to the side with two stopping heights. This will allow me to spray the headstock and neck, and lift up the body to spray the butt end. Then pull it up so I'm facing the body for a good horizontal spray. I have cushions under the guitar in case it falls!!!!!!

I just sprayed a 50/50 lacquer sealer coat. After about an hour dry time I'll wipe sand the surface and wipe it down with a lint free rag.

After that I'll spray the whole guitar with vintage amber rattle can from Stewmac.

Once that dries about 45 minutes I'll do a top coat of clear mixed 80/20. That will dry over night, and I'll dream tonight about how I'll apply the sunburst. I hope it's a good dream. 😉
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Looking real nice, Kevin. I went and reread your build blog for the archtop, which is visually stunning unfinished. That sunburst will look so tasty. Ya got me wanting to build a violin, now I am adding an archtop to the list. You continue to inspire. Thanks for taking all the pictures and posting all your progress.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

Here is the guitar with the vintage amber and a coat of clear over it. The amber really made the flame pop.

Tomorrow I'll wipe sand it and the start the burst with Tobacco brown. Still trying to decide my best approach.
Kevin Sjostrand

Sorry, I was posting my spraying of the archtop here.
It's also over on the Archtop thread.

The OM is complete other than than the fretboard extension screw down. Had to order the screws and T nuts so waiting till Wednesday to get them.
I should be spraying this OM on Thursday.
Kevin Sjostrand

I finished the fretboard extension screw down system yesterday and sprayed a couple of coats of sanding sealer. The flamed maple binding really popped.

Will lightly sand today and put 3 or 4 coats of lacquer on.
I'll attach some pics in the next post
Kevin Sjostrand

I guess I never posted pics of the sprayed guitar.
It hung for 3 weeks and I started rubbing out the finish.
I always think ive got plenty of lacquer on a guitar only to find out its not as much as I thought or probably needed.
I had a small sand through on the side of the heel cap that I fixed by brushing on a few coats.
Then a spot popped up along the side purfling at the waist...a void. I try hard to find these and fill them before I start spraying but often they show up.
I filled this area with some CA as I was worried a bit about adhesion there, them masked the about one inch area off and brushed on a few coats of lacquer, and now that us fixed. I'm close to being ready for buffing.
I will probably get the archtop guitar ready for buffing too and set up the buffer and get them both done at the same time.
I'll post pics for sure as I'm buffing.