First guitar build

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Jhunt

Re: First guitar build

Post by Jhunt »

Update:

Top and back bracing is done. Added side ribbon bracing.

Trued up the kerfing on the top and bottom of the sides. Then marked lines to cut the kerfing to make room for the bracing and allow the back to be connected to the sides. Unfortunately I damaged some kerfing in the process. I’ll repair those areas next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

when using a plane always angle the blade so you are cutting from the inside to the out. And check that you are working with the grain. easy fix
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Jhunt

Post by Jhunt »

Since I put the kerfing on already, I trimmed sections to allow the back braces to fit through the kerfing. Then I glued small pieces of sanded down kerfing on top of the braces.

After doing this, I came across an obrien video that mentions cutting channels through the side to let the braces past through and then later concealing the braces with the binding. I hope I didn’t make a big mistake by not having the braces pass through the sides.

Ps. Thanks, John. Noted
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

The way you inlet the braces is fine. Some believe cutting through the side to accept the brace ends makes a stronger assembly. I've done it both ways but have settled on going through the sides with the X braces and the transverse brace above the sound hole.

Yours will be just fine. When guitars are built with no binding you have to install the braces the way you did so it's not a problem
Jhunt

Post by Jhunt »

Went back and removed the cedar x brace intersection so and replaced it with cloth. “Made” the patch from 3 small gum barrel cleaning patches and titebond.

Applied some grain filler and sanding sealer then a couple of coats of true oil on the top and back (still need to do the exterior of the sides). I also made some shellac (liberon lemon flakes in ethyl alcohol) and applied 3 coats to the inside of the back and sides. I’m sure it was entirely unnecessary it it makes the inside look a bit nicer - of course it could be a negative if:when the guitar needs to be worked on. Anyhow, I’m very happy how it looks at that early/initial stage.

Cleaned out the area where dovetail male/female relationship area.

Made a gaboon ebony end wedge to customize the kit a bit. I forgot to insert the black and white purfling. I’m going to see if I can very carefully make a channel around the wedge and insert it tomorrow.

Closed the box!

Next step will be the neck.
Last edited by Jhunt on Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jhunt

Post by Jhunt »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:59 pm The way you inlet the braces is fine. Some believe cutting through the side to accept the brace ends makes a stronger assembly. I've done it both ways but have settled on going through the sides with the X braces and the transverse brace above the sound hole.

Yours will be just fine. When guitars are built with no binding you have to install the braces the way you did so it's not a problem
Thanks. That makes total sense. I’ll try going through the sides on my next build.
Jhunt

Post by Jhunt »

Hmmm…

Now that the box is closed, I’m working on setting the neck. I placed a straight edge from the middle of the neck to roughly where the saddle will be. The neck is proud about 2mm from the top. At the dovetail joint, there is about 1/8” of space between the soundboard and the straightedge. However that gap actually narrows as you follow the straightedge towards the soundhole! At the point of the saddle (rough estimation of where it will go), the gap is slightly less than 1/8” (quite a bit lower than the 1/4” recommendation.

I’m quite sure that I radiused the top and bottom and inadvertently left the sides of the waist a bit too tall. I can adjust the neck so that the gap at the bridge is higher than the current 1/8”. Is that how I should proceed? I hope this isn’t a giant mess up :(.

Thanks,
James
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Jhunt

Post by Jhunt »

I’ve got the neck angle correct (based on the 14th fret measurement with a straight edge and the height at the saddle. However, to get that angle the joint isn’t closed tight. Should I trim some material off the neck near the heel? I’m afraid to screw this part up. Thanks

Note, I put a temporary shim in the joint to help it stay in place as I took pictures.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

To my eye, it appears that the neck is not fully seated. Are you calculating things with the fingerboard added on top of the neck?
Kevin Doty
Kansas City