First guitar build

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Jhunt

First guitar build

Post by Jhunt »

Here is a blog that will provide a brief recap of my first guitar build. It is the blues creek guatemalan rosewood b/s kit.

First, I went through the materials in the kit.

Next, I dry fit the side panels into a blues creek mold. From there I added the kerfing to one side and secured with 1” spring clamps. Then the heel block was screwed into the mold. That was all I had time for today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TEETERFAN

Re: First guitar build

Post by TEETERFAN »

Well, you’re off and running! Looks good so far. I see you got plenty of clamps, that helps. Good luck with your build and thanks for the update!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Welcome to the “Rabbit Hole”. Before you know it you’ll have 2 or 3 more kits under your belt. Then comes thickness sanders, side benders, and before you know it, you’ll be looking at CNC machine tools!😱

The really good news is that you started with a guy who builds first class kits and is a wealth of knowledge he gladly shares. I’m sure I speak for all of us in wishing you the best of luck and enjoy your new adventure!
Jhunt

Post by Jhunt »

Today’s update:

Finished the kerfing and top bracing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jhunt

Post by Jhunt »

BlindBo wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:32 pm Welcome to the “Rabbit Hole”. Before you know it you’ll have 2 or 3 more kits under your belt. Then comes thickness sanders, side benders, and before you know it, you’ll be looking at CNC machine tools!😱

The really good news is that you started with a guy who builds first class kits and is a wealth of knowledge he gladly shares. I’m sure I speak for all of us in wishing you the best of luck and enjoy your new adventure!
Believe it or not I already bought the lmi side bender. My optimism/ocd personality led me to buy the tools I’ll need to build one from scratch. That said, I don’t own a thickness sander or cnc yet, both would be nice to have!
Jhunt

Post by Jhunt »

TEETERFAN wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:40 am Well, you’re off and running! Looks good so far. I see you got plenty of clamps, that helps. Good luck with your build and thanks for the update!
Thank you!
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Jhunt wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:47 pm
Believe it or not I already bought the lmi side bender. My optimism/ocd personality led me to buy the tools I’ll need to build one from scratch. That said, I don’t own a thickness sander or cnc yet, both would be nice to have!
I'd get a thickness sander before a CNC. While I use my CNC occasionally, I find I use my thickness sander ALL the time. It's homemade, and 9" wide, so it's limited in capability. Sanding a top or back to thickness 1/2 at a time is not the greatest way to go about it, but it sure beats doing it all by hand.

Another thing to think about, while you're dreaming of equipping your shop, is a milling machine. My dream machine would be a Jet JVM-836, but they're now over $9,000.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

or you could add a sanding attachment to your CNC
[youtube]https://youtu.be/xC1VzMVhY5M?si=piP5U4ER6KxN2W3s[/youtube]
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

That's an interesting idea. One would definitely need a vacuum table to keep the wood flat though,and my CNC only goes to 12" wide so I still couldn't do a whole top or back.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

I bought a 10” Jet and use it all the time and don’t have a CNC machine. While keeping the table level for sanding back and top pieces can be an inconvenience, it’s doable with careful attention. Where it really shines is doing small pieces, like bracing, shims, and pearl popsicle sticks. I use it a lot and consider it an important shop tool.