Dr. Rick Gets a StewMac Kit for his Big Birthday

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
tippie53

Re: Dr. Rick Gets a StewMac Kit for his Big Birthday

Post by tippie53 »

John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Srick

Post by Srick »

LOL! 100 spring clips for $19.99!

These truly are the days of miracles and wonders…
And you know there's a YouTube video of a guy in Mexico who builds a guitar only using a machete, right?
Srick

God Bless the Luthier Who Invented the Go bar Deck

Post by Srick »

]Image

Let's raise a glass to the luthier who invented the deck (and the radiused dish).

Need I say it. Clamps. Are. Frustrating.

Next time ->Go Bars!
Last edited by Srick on Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
And you know there's a YouTube video of a guy in Mexico who builds a guitar only using a machete, right?
Srick

See all those clamps above? Look what happened!

Post by Srick »

My bad... hmmm.... maybe, I can use that new heat gun... we'll see how tough titebond REALLY is...
Srick

Hot palate knife and heat gun to the rescue

Post by Srick »

Doable! Answer to the question?

Titebond is tough. This took about 30 minutes to remove.
Last edited by Srick on Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Srick

after 30 minutes of tlc....

Post by Srick »

Ready to start again. And, almost ready to build or buy a Go-bar deck.
banjopicks

Post by banjopicks »

Srick wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:37 pm Plug for HF - they have improved their quality a lot over the last few years. Instead of clothespins securing the kerfing, check these out:

22 spring clamps for $5.49 AND.....

WAIT FOR IT.....

Dang it. I just did this with clothes pins and as usual, I got less than stellar results. I'll be buying 100 of these for the next guitar.

They have a lifetime replacement guarantee!!!!
Srick

You've seen this pic before... and you know what a fire drill it is

Post by Srick »

I was as ready for this step as I would ever be. Over the past day, the humidity in the shop changed and my nicely set-up box started changing. You may be aware that the internal cardboard form of the StewMac guitar kit is adjusted by driving wedge between the tail block and the end block. Well. complicating matters, one of the wedges fell out of place (and into the black hole between the forms). It took a few hours with some new wedges to get things back in line and then time for gluing.

I was about quarter way through the gluing and clamping when my wife called down: "Bennett (a close friend who decided to drop in at the critical moment) is here."

"Send him down"

I was multitasking fairly well for about two minutes when I suddenly said, "oh crap.... the top's not seated"

And you know the fire drill. Whip off all of the clamps, get some fresh glue on all of the surfaces, rinse and repeat!

As far as I can tell, it's a happy ending. I'll know more tomorrow.
[UPDATE: looks good]
Bennett got to witness a good show. And fortunately, I always have a plan B. And a plan C. and D.

The next guitar will be built in a mold with index tabs.

Srick

The next Rabbithole

Post by Srick »

“The Art of Tap Tuning” by Roger Siminoff
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

You are aware, I assume, that Titebond won't reliably stick to itself. If a joint fails, you have to thoroughly clean off the dried Titebond and start over.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion