Dr. Rick Gets a StewMac Kit for his Big Birthday

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Srick

Re: Dr. Rick Gets a StewMac Kit for his Big Birthday

Post by Srick »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:24 pm I really like the look. The top is special.
With Indian rosewood you can't go wrong.
I'll bet it sounds great.
I was hoping your wedding song wasn't Stevie Wonders "Living for the City!" You picked a much more appropriate song. 😉
LOL! Agree! That would have been a poor choice! What is interesting about the choice of woods is that Kathy ordered the kit not knowing a thing about tonewood, bolt on necks, or guitar form factors. She bought it because she liked the idea that it was a pre-war Martin design.

It sounds great, and we’re only a few weeks in. I had obsessed over tap tuning, etc. at one point, and Alan Carruth nicely reminded me that: this was a proven design, and I wasn’t reinventing the wheel and that the sound is the sum of all the parts. It still needs a little tweaking (ie.)Removing some of the little finish ‘goobers’ and refining a few frets.).

I have been playing it a lot. Later today, I’ll try a different set of strings on it. When I do nut and saddle work, etc. I am constantly loosening and tightening the strings. I start out with EJ16s and consider the first set more or less expendable. I’d never make a profit if I went into luthiery!

The winter will be spent organizing the shop and building a few jigs. I am looking forward to #2 and using some of the wisdom that I gathered making #1.
And you know there's a YouTube video of a guy in Mexico who builds a guitar only using a machete, right?
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Dr. Rick Gets a StewMac Kit for his Big Birthday

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Good for you. Go for it.
I started my LMI kit in 2007 finished it in 2008. Then started right in on #2 from scratch. Made the mold, made an electric bending pipe, bought a HF trim router, bought an attachment for the router made by Bill Cory, the man who started this Forum, that helped when cutting the binding channels. I didn't even have a bandsaw, which made making the neck a real challenge. By the time I was making number 3 a year later for my son in law I had a resaw bandsaw, and it went on from there. I had caught the bug!!!
After about 5 guitars I made a binding routing tower, a side bending machine, found a used thickness sander, etc on the tools.
#18 now is the archtop guitar that's almost done.
Crazy! Never expected to be making more than that first kit. It just gets in your blood. Sold 3. Son in laws, grandsons, one granddaughter, my pastor, my wife, a few friends.......
Not sure where it ends but I have wood and supplies for about 8 more so I'll just keep making them. Now in retirement I've made 4 guitars and 3 violins in 2 years!!
I don't even play very well. HA.
anyway. Enjoy this one and do share your building of #2 as you find time.
Build on.