OO-45 Project

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
BlindBo

Re: OO-45 Project

Post by BlindBo »

Life has been getting in my way lately, but, I was finally able to spend some time in the shop yesterday and this afternoon. This is a special guitar to me because I bought the rim already glued to the blocks from my late friend and mentor, Jimmie Hall. So, I wanted it to be really nice and d decided to try my hand at a 45 trim.it’s been a battle and I think I may have a few scars!

My first attempt at gluing up the back and lower side purfling looked pretty good once the pearl was in until I started level sanding it and realized how many errors I had made. So, out came the routing jig last weekend and I cut it all off. That was painful (and expensive)but I just couldn’t leave it like that.

Yesterday I did the top and upper side purfling after hand adjusting any areas that weren’t correct. This resulted in a much better fitting job. This afternoon I inlayed the top pearl and level sanded it.
IMG_1363.jpeg
It needs finer sanding, drop filling the pearl , a little “Fender and body work”, and it will be ready for the sealer. Tomorrow I’ll finish fixing a few boogers on the upper side channel and inlay that pearl.

It’s moving forward but at a fairly slow pace. As always, I’d be remiss for not thanking Diane and John for their support!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

This challenge will turn out very rewarding for you I'm sure. There's alot of work there but abalone purfling is one choice I'm always glad I made for a guitar.
Just do your best and be happy.
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Well, as it does, life threw me a few curve balls that have kept me away from this project. But I’ve been able to climb back on this horse and make some progress. The neck has the finish lacquer coats and is curing.
Today in Georgia it was 80 degrees and 52% humidity. A perfect day for working outside. I moved the rotisserie outside and started building the base coats on the body.There are 5 coats in these pics.
IMG_0365.jpeg
IMG_0362.jpeg
IMG_0364.jpeg
IMG_0363.jpeg
IMG_0359.jpeg
This is my first solo effort at a 45 style trim. Please don’t look too closely!😂😅
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

First off, happy holidays to everyone.
Whew! I sure am glad I’m not trying to make a living at this hobby. It’s been a long haul but I hit a milestone today. After finding two small pitch pockets in my top, I set about trying to stabilize them. And the rabbit hole kept getting deeper and deeper. Last resort was to change to a sunburst. Only my second as it turned out ok.
But, today I glued the neck on.
For some reason the photo of the sunburst keeps loading as cblack image. Operator error I’m sure!

I’ve been struggling with learning how to get a dovetail joint just right. This is only my third, but it is by far the best. Although, the proof will be in the pudding tomorrow when I unclamp it.
IMG_1488.jpeg
IMG_1489.jpeg
IMG_1490.jpeg

The neck joint is tight, the centerline is good, the angle is great, and the fretboard seats on the top. A big acorn-lishmenr for me.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Thanks for the pictures and update. You’re getting close to hearing some real music from your baby. Good luck and Happy Holidays!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
BlindBo

Re: OO-45 Projec

Post by BlindBo »

Thanks, Kevin. That’s what I’m really excited about! Took the clamps off this morning and the good news is that the frets are “right side up!”😂😂 Centerline and neck angle all checked good. I sanded the fret board plane level so frets won’t be far away.
Bridge goes on tomorrow.
I’m trying to post more pics but having an issue with a setting on my new phone.
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

I finally got my settings figured out.
IMG_1495.jpeg
IMG_1498.jpeg
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

She's going to be fun to play. Nice Sunburst.
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Thanks Kevin and Happy New Year. I made one slight error cutting the bridge cavity, so, I’m now in the drop fill mode hoping to get it as close to invisible as possible. That yielded some down time. I decided to counter skin the bridge pin holes. A good friend made me a rosewood bridge and as I was sanding it, it thought, hell, why not!. Next thing you know, I’m applying multiple coats for pore filler and just finished the vinyl sealer.
IMG_1503.jpeg
Tomorrow it’s sanding and lacquer coats. I know not many folks finish bridges, but, I just couldn’t stop. I think I need professional help!😂
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Hey, it isn’t crazy and it’s your guitar! Be a bit cautious when you glue on the bridge, fresh lacquer could dent when clamping. You might finish another hunk of wood at the same time as the bridge, with the same number of coats. That way you could check the “dent-ability” of the dried lacquer on the scrap piece without screwing up your bridge.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City