17" Archtop Jazz Guitar finally starting it 5 years late!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: 17" Archtop Jazz Guitar finally starting it 5 years late!

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Thanks Carlos. I didn't know you could use dye in alcohol on top of lacquer.

Here I've cut out access to the truss rod using a routing template I made and the palm router with a 3/16" straight bit. Worked great.

I also trimmed off most of the excess neck material on the bandsaw. I actually got the shaft mostly flush to the fretboard this afternoon too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Fretboard is fretted. Not yet leveled and recrowned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

I now have the fretwork done, nut installed and the truss rod access cover made and installed.

I'm still looking at my guitar body with the dovetail mortise drawn on it.....trying to work up my nerve to start sawing and chiseling. I'm a little scared of it.🤡
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

One of the coolest necks I’ve ever seen, Kevin! What a interesting build. Keep cooking!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

Thanks Kev!

So this afternoon after sharpening up my chisels I got after the dovetail mortise.

I had it drawn out. First cutting down the sides with the dovetail saw (actually my fret cutting saw) then I started chiseling. It actually went pretty well. I got called in for dinner just as I was finishing the major removal so I don't yet know if or how the neck fits. I'll find out tomorrow. The mortise should be slightly undersized.
Kevin Sjostrand

I worked the dovetail and got the neck to fit. I took a little bit off the mortise at a time as the neck dropped lower and lower. At about half way down there was a slight twist to the fit so I got it back straight and it dropped further in but now the neck is slightly cooked off the center line about an 1/8".
I need to swing it to center. With a straight M & T I'd just floss sand the high side to bring it inline. But on this I don't know if that's what to do. The neck is tight in the mortise once it's down as far as it can go right now. The extension hits the top and there is about 3/16" more to drop down. To accomplish that the bottom of the extension has to be cut off and shaped so it floats over the top past the recurve area. So I'll try and get that done before working the dovetail anymore. I don't want to make it loose by doing the wrong thing to get the neck swung to center. Sooo....

If any if you guys have experience fitting a dovetail and can direct me on what to do I'd appreciate it.

If John Hall sees this I know he uses dovetails on his guitars so I'd sure like to hear from you John if you have time.
Thanks all its a fun process.
Kevin Sjostrand

It looks like I've got it.
I put a .020" wood shim one the cutaway side dovetail tenon and then slowly worked the other side until the neck started in and I had flossed the same side cheek too to swing the neck a bit.
I've got it in. It's straight and center falls right on my line and the joint is tight. Yah!

I still need to make the underside of the extension fit on the top over the neck block, about 1.75" in from the edge. Then it has to be above and clear the arch....and look good.
The next challenge.
Kevin Sjostrand

With the dovetail fitting better now, there's still some work to do there but I decided to start shaping the neck next.
I have the shaft pretty close, still need to work the heel a bit. I used my Lee Valley kit spoke shave to start out with and with it set to remove very thin shavings UT cut the figured maple in both directions like butter.

Then I use micro planes, sanding sticks, files and some scraping to get the shape right.
Kevin Sjostrand

I have the neck set. The underside of the extension is shaped to fit against the top for about 1.25" from the end of the guitar. The rest of the extension just has a nice shaped clearance over the top. It didn't turn out exactly the way Bob Benedetto does it but it looks nice I think and I'm happy with it. Spraying finish under there will be a trick. My neck angle turned out just right with a 1 inch height at the bridge location with a straight edge on the frets.

I have the neck shaped about 90%. The heel will be finished after the neck is glued to the guitar as there is some overhangs to blend into the body.
Kevin Sjostrand

Installing the bone saddle for the tail piece gut to pull over.