"Twin" Dobro Project

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Dobroguy

Re: "Twin" Dobro Project

Post by Dobroguy »

I recently completed the Bordeau-stained instrument and took it for a spin at a local jam on Thursday. It sounds like a Dobro on steroids compared to my standard size instrument. The tone, volume, sustain & individual string clarity is beyond my expectations. It rings like a bell. I've ordered a strap lock button for my blue guitar and when it arrives I will complete that instrument. So far so good. I'm a happy camper.
Bordeau. Dobro.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

That's a beautiful instrument. Looks like the string height is really high. I take it it's supposed to be that way,?
Is it difficult to play?
Dobroguy

Post by Dobroguy »

This is a square neck instrument, which is played lap style using a sliding bar. The string height is almost 3/4" above the fret board. The frets are just flush inlaid markers for visual reference. Mine is tuned to open G (GBDGBD). It is relatively easy to play. Round neck Dobros have normal string height/action and are played like a standard acoustic instrument.
Dobroguy

Post by Dobroguy »

They are finally finished. I didn't intend this project to take so long but life sometimes gets in the way. They both sound very good to my ears. Thanks for looking.
Blue.Dobro.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.