Second and Third Guitars

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
John Reid

Re: Second and Third Guitars

Post by John Reid »

Still doing finishing work. Still trying to learn things. I had a real flub where I was cleaning a spot on the back using denatured alcohol and rubbed off the finish. Arg! I’m wondering if this has something to do with the issues I had earlier, but my notes and memory aren’t good enough. Now I’m using naphtha for cleaning before applying new coats.

I glued the neck onto one of the guitars. Spent a couple hours checking things and fine-tuning things, and dry fitting, and it seemed to go well.

Working on the bridges. One is done and is the top one in the photo. I probably glue that on tomorrow. The other (bottom) still needs work and I’m still putting Toil on the body.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Naphtha is the only thing I will use on guitars to clean them.
The only time I deviate from this is if I'm gluing an oily wood, like cocobolo. I use alcohol to clean only the gluing surface of cocobolo, right before gluing, otherwise the joint won't hold. I use alcohol because of the resins in cocobolo; alcohol is the only agent that will dissolve resins.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
John Reid

Post by John Reid »

One of the two guitars is done. Finished and glued the bridge. Leveled and crowned the frets. Installed the tuners. Did the nut and saddle work. Strung it up.

Pretty happy with the set up. Still need to do some adjusting of one of the slots (B string). No buzzing on any of the frets. I’m happy with the sound, too!! Can’t wait to see how it settles in.

I should be able to finish the other guitar this week or next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
banjopicks

Post by banjopicks »

You're fast.
John Reid

Post by John Reid »

banjopicks wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:53 pm You're fast.
Ha! Sure doesn't seem like it. I started these guitars about a year ago. Seems like it's taken a looong time.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

ENVY!
peter havriluk
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Congratulations!! You got a couple “keepers” there! Good job.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
John Reid

Post by John Reid »

I was getting ready to glue the neck on the other guitar and I’ve got a problem. Any input would be appreciated!

I glued the fingerboard on the neck a while back (3 months -ish). In the meantime, the fingerboard extension developed a downward bend. So, when I try to clamp it in, there is a significant gap (1-2/64”) at the joint end. I’m clamping it pretty tightly.

I don’t know why I can’t get the neck seated all the way. I figure it’s either:

a) the bent fingerboard extension is preventing it from lowering the whole way
b) the joint has also changed since I originally fit it.

The solutions I thought of are:
a) sand the fingerboard extension to remove the bend
b) sand the top of the guitar to match bend in the fingerboard
c) work on the dovetail tenon to see if I can further drop the neck

I guess my questions are

Which is the likely culprit – the bent fingerboard, or the tenon?

Would the bent fingerboard extension be enough to prevent the clamping straightening it out and fully seating the neck?

Would forcing the extension straight with clamping put too much stress on the glue joint between the fingerboard and neck?

Which solutions seems the safest approach?

Here is a picture of the joint.

Thanks for any input!!
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Here's another solution for you: make a thin wedge to fill in the gap. Make it out of what the fingerboard is made of and you'll barely be able to see it, if at all.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Was the fingerboard straight before it was fretted? If so, then remove the frets on the overhanging part of the fretboard, install the neck and do what needs to be done to install frets again after installing the neck.
peter havriluk