Build 1 OM-28

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
erdavis

Build 1 OM-28

Post by erdavis »

We started the build. Have read most of the postings here and saved a bunch of them to a doc. Really top notch nice people here, thanks to everyone.

Using fish glue for the first time. I like it but also realize I have to keep the guitar in reasonable conditions.
Still going back and forth on fish glue or tite bond for the top, bottom and bridge.
I bought a humidifier as the shop was running 20% but in another month I will probably have to buy a de-humidifier.
Got some 1/4" go bars(driveway flags) today. The HF electrical puller kit ones seem on the light side and press only 4-5 Lbs. Had to use a lot to feel I had a good clamp on the parts.

A couple of pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Build 1 OM-28

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You're doing a nice job.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
RHayes

Post by RHayes »

Looks like a wonderful start and I predict there will be more.
erdavis

Post by erdavis »

Thanks,
Not much done today. Put the sound hole braces in after digging them out of the garbage where they ended up after cleaning the bench. Carved the 4 radial braces down, tapped the bridge and recorded the sound. I also recorded it before I did any carving. Big difference in sound after carving some. Not that I know what I am doing at all. Just wanted to see the difference it does make.

I like to draw projects I am working on so I decided to draw the bridge that came with the kit to start. Used FreeCAD and put a spreadsheet in to tweak dimensions. FreeCAD can generate G-Code but it also can output to an STL file and a program like vcarve could generate the code.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erdavis

Post by erdavis »

Have not given up. I am just going to post some pictures at times. No real blog like some of you do. There are some very good blogs and someone could almost build their first kit from reading your blog.

Decided to replace the kit end graft (flash?) with some purple heart I had here. Will be pretty when it turns.

Ed
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You're doing great.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Nice clean end graft. Looks like you got a really good joint between sides and top/back too. Good enough to not need binding. Good job.