Build 6. Sapele/Engelmann 00-14

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
PSmill

Re: Build 6. Sapele/Engelmann 00-14

Post by PSmill »

Great photos, thanks!
jread

Post by jread »

Complete. Thanks for following along and all the support and advice I get on this forum. I could not do this without you guys.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jread

Post by jread »

Updating this old thread. This build was fine in February after the long set of course corrections but covid had put the delivery on hold. Meanwhile all the little problems that I thought were fixed weren’t.

I have learned much since then and completed several builds. The bridge plate was a little too far forward and a belly was forming behind the bridge. There was a grain line crack near the extension. Those on top of several cosmetic mistakes made me take her apart. The owner paid full price, I had to redo it.

I pulled the neck off, then the top and made a new one out of Adi spruce. I simply re-routed the binding channels right through the binding before removing the top which gave me clean sides. The top was destroyed coming off but the sides were fine. I don’t think I could get a top off and reuse it if I tried. Both a hot clothes iron and just chiseling damaged it.

I was careful to keep the kerfing intact but did replace a few small sections and sanded them with a block. I had the new top all braced and ready then just closed the box again. I use Blues Creek Guitars halo templates so it was a good fit into the existing notches. The new rosewood binding looks perfect.

The dovetail needed a little rework. After French polishing the whole thing again, the neck went on well an it’s a far better guitar now than before.

One crazy build but it’s a really great sounding instrument. It’s light as a feather and feels great. I need to get her delivered!!

Ps. Thank you Diane for teaching me how to do your beautiful rosette styles. I love the simple contrasting wood rosettes flush to the sound hole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

What an odyssey for you, but well done!
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

Really like the rosette and the inlay patterns! Beautiful guitar.