Harmony H165

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Billinflorida

Harmony H165

Post by Billinflorida »

IMG_4757.jpg
I am new to this Forum and I am not sure if my pics are showing up. I am budget restoring a sweet H165 that came to me with a broken and badly epoxy glued headstock (paid 5 dollars for it). I sanded it down and tried to paint the face gloss black with about 8 coats of polyurethane. It just kept getting worse so I sanded it all off and am starting over. I want to try using a can of gloss black acrylic lacquer on the headstock face because It dries quicker and seals each coat with itself to become one. I am thinking about three coats will do. The mahogany underside I want to just blend in with the rest of the neck using Howards Restore a Finish followed by a good polishing. I will experiment with it before actually doing it. I hope the pics show up for you. I am still learning how to use this Forum correctly. Any suggestions are welcome. Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Billinflorida on Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
tippie53

Re: Harmony H165

Post by tippie53 »

thanks for posting
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

I have an H165 that I literally pulled out of a dumpster. It was missing a bridge, nut, and tuning machines. It had a split in the top along with a significant top belly and a bowed neck.

I was able to nurse it back to health. The replacement bridge came from the scrap bin at Jim Olson's shop. I humidified it and sealed the top crack. I straightened the neck and then did a poor man's neck reset (fingerboard shim. It is a surprisingly good sounding instrument.

Work slowly and be willing to experiment and I think you will be rewarded with a functional, pleasant sounding instrument.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Billinflorida wrote:I am new to this Forum and I am not sure if my pics are showing up. I am budget restoring a sweet H165 that came to me with a broken and badly epoxy glued headstock (paid 5 dollars for it). I sanded it down and tried to paint the face gloss black with about 8 coats of polyurethane. It just kept getting worse so I sanded it all off and am starting over. I want to try using a can of gloss black acrylic lacquer on the headstock face because It dries quicker and seals each coat with itself to become one. I am thinking about three coats will do. The mahogany underside I want to just blend in with the rest of the neck using Howards Restore a Finish followed by a good polishing. I will experiment with it before actually doing it. I hope the pics show up for you. I am still learning how to use this Forum correctly. Any suggestions are welcome. Bill
Hi Bill,

Welcome!

To post photos. Use jpeg format photos and make them at least 840 pixels. I usually resize mine to a minimum of 1000 pixels on the longest side.

You'll see a.gray box that says, "choose file". Click it and choose your photo. You can make a comment about the photo, if you wish (or not). After choosing it, make sure you click "add the file" which will be a yellow box on the right, otherwise your photo won't get added.

You can then place them in any order you want to, by a drop-down box. Otherwise, they should appear in the order that you've added them.

You can preview all posts before posting. You can also edit your posts.

If you have any questions, just ask. We love questions!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com