FINALLY I am starting another build!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: FINALLY I am starting another build!

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

The Sjostrand logo's were done by DePaule. They are hand cut in Vietnam. There is a video on their site you can watch it is quite amazing.
This is the first one I'm using. On my previous guitars I started out using a 1" disc from DePaule of MOP and Abalone with a brush script "S" in the center, then I went to inlaying a wood brush script "S" that I would cut by hand and inlay. Those all turned out really nice.
I ordered these MOP Sjostrand logo's about 3 years ago. I got a great deal because they made more than I ordered and I got the overage for about 1/4 the price.
I think I have 22 of them. At 66 years next month, I don't expect to use them all. I may have 10 more guitars in me :)

I can't image trying to cut these myself by hand. I would however now that I have the CNC machine, attempt to use it to cut them or any other logo. I'd just need to get the correct bit for cutting the pearl.
jread

Post by jread »

Thank you! They gave me a quote and I was trying to decide. Yours is really nice. We'll see how mine goes and I'll put it in my thread when ready.
Oh.. and I didn't even think of wood. I could far more easily make one from veneer than pearl. There's an idea.
Kevin Sjostrand

Here are a couple of examples of my wood "S" logo installed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

and here is the logo from DePaule. You can get these in any letter. The last time I bought one they were up to $30 each, but that was still a good price for what you get.

These fit perfectly in a hole cut with a 1 1/16" forstner bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jread

Post by jread »

really nice! Thanks! I've ordered a few custom sets. I'll post when they arrive. They have really great stuff.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It's beautiful Kevin.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

This is the logo epoxied in. I believe the fill around will disappear with the finish on...
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Hey Kevin - very nice looking and good choices all around. I'm interested in seeing how it sounds
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

So I took a week off between Christmas and New Years and made much progress. I did not take pictures along the way again. I get busy and I just forget to stop and do that. Sorry.
Anyway, this guitar is just about ready for the finish. The frets will be leveled before I do that, and the mahogany neck has to be pore filled. Then another once over to be sure there are no sanding marks, voids along the bindings, rosette, etc. I'm hoping for some 65 degree plus days around the middle of Feb and I can start spraying.

The pics show two pick guards. I believe I will be using the red one. The end is drilled for a end pin jack. I'm putting a LR Baggs I-Beam in this guitar. My son in law has this on the first guitar I made for him 10 years ago and he likes it, so he gets it in this one too.

This has been fun, not too many Oh Oh's, or "I should ofs" on this one. But there are always a few of those!
When I start spraying, I'll post some more pics of that process. I am using a new spray booth in my back yard this time. The old booth framework has seen better days. You will see that too when I am spraying.
banjopicks

Post by banjopicks »

Nice looking guitar. I noticed that you cut the center strip before installing the braces. I considered doing that on my first but I thought that was somehow wrong as all the videos I watched the guys would cut the spaces and remove with a chisel. Your way makes more sense to me.