FINALLY I am starting another build!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Re: FINALLY I am starting another build!

Post by MaineGeezer »

!

Sometimes getting started is the most difficult part. Looking forward to progress reports!
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

That digital controller looks right familiar...
peter havriluk
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hey Peter, yes it does for sure. And it works too!
I almost just used the light bulbs on this one, but so glad I have the new set up. It is much faster and more efficient.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Kevin, love to see your work. Thanks for sharing. My controller has bent four (five counting the mistake I'll never repeat) sets of sides. Wonderful to have.
peter havriluk
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Kevin, love to see your work. Thanks for sharing. My controller has bent four (five counting the mistake I'll never repeat) sets of sides. Wonderful to have.
peter havriluk
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Good to see you got a start on this one, I must be one of the few guys still using a light bulb bending set up. Got a heat blanket last week but haven't use it yet, need to plug it in a see how long it takes to reach certain temps , etc., before I try it on some good wood.

Too bad about the 100 degree temps, a real drag to build in too much heat or too cold either, hard to think/work when one is uncomfortable. I've been fortunate to have built a backyard shop that has both heat and AC a couple years ago, resulting in a huge increase in shop time, WTH didn't I do it about 10 years ago.

Will be following your build, looks like someone is going to get a nice surprise.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Kevin

"I have a template I made for the sides so I pre-shape them on the bandsaw before I bend, this gets the approximate profile for the back in the sides once they are in the mold. This saves much time later."

What method do you use for making the profile template?

Ed
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Ed, I made those my templates about 10 years ago and I don't remember for sure where I got the calcs from.
I made one for a dred and for and OM. I don't think I have one for the classicals I've made, but I can't remember that either.
I may have got them from Ken Cierplowski back then.
jread

Post by jread »

great materials combination on the one. Def following along.
Kevin Sjostrand

Made a little progress this past Saturday. I got the sides trimmed to length, made the end and neck blocks and glued them in. The neck block was cut from the extra large mahogany neck heel block that will be used for the neck.
I radiused both sides in my double sided radius dish. 15' radius for the back, 30' for the top. You can see the saw dust on the radius dish which indicates when you have all surfaces sanded, this along with some chalk marking the edges insures a uniform edge

Then I glued in some reversed kerfing on the back of the sides.

This was the first time I've used reversed kerfing, and I was not impressed. The webbing was so thin the strips broke in multiple places no matter how carefully I handled it. I will probably not use this stuff again. Anyway, for the last few guitars I've used my own made kerfing so I think I'll go back to doing that on my future guitars

Next step will be to glue the kerfing on the top edge, and re-radius the top and back in the dish. This goes quickly as the mahogany sands very easliy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.