FINALLY I am starting another build!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: FINALLY I am starting another build!

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

and the kerfing on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

This weekend I was able to get the rest of the kerfing installed and the rims re-radiused on the radius disc.

I also got the back plates thicknessed and joined with a 1/4" wide east indian rosewood center strip. This will match the EIR bindings.

I have an old Ryobi 13/32 drum sander that I picked up for a song about 10 years ago. It has worked fairly well, but since purchasing it I've had to replace the circuit board in the conveyor speed control box, the on/off switch itself, the drum and the bearings it runs it, one of the conveyor belt tension adjustment setups.
Now while running the back plates through, the conveyor motor stopped working. My first thought was a broken coupling which is housed inside a box, but the coupling is okay and secure on both the motor shaft and the conveyor drive roller shaft. However, with the motor running, I can hold onto the coupling mounted on the motor shaft and stop the shaft from turning.....the motor itself is still on.
I am not a motor guy. Perhaps someone here can tell me what is going on. My suspect is the motor brushes have gone bad?????? If they are bad, the armature/shaft won't turn right????
This Ryobi sander has been out of production for many years. Parts are near non-existent. I am hoping the DC motor is standard enought that brushes can be found, if this is the problem.

Anyway, so I got out my hand plane and took the back plates down from .0170" to .0110 with the plane and RO sander. No picture of this but I used my #3 Fulton plane made in the 1930's to do this. Made a big pile of shavings on the floor. I forgot to take a picture of this step. The back looks good.

Next step will be to finish the rims with reinforcement strips inside, then brace the back, join and brace the redwood top. A job for next weekend.
Kevin Sjostrand

and the body rims.
Kevin Sjostrand

Progress is slow, too hot in the shop to spend alot of time right now.
My drum sander conveyor feed motor broke a couple of weeks ago, so I was able to find a new gear motor that would work for this sander and got it back up running Saturday morning.
Then I cut some spruce bracing stock and got the back braces made and radiused. I use my double sided radius dish to sand the radius onto the bottom of each brace after tracing the approximate shape with the brace setting in the dish, then rough cutting on the bandsaw.

That's as far as I got this past weekend. Not too exciting, but just a step in the process.
Kevin Sjostrand

A little more progress this past week
The back is braced, the top is joined and the abalone rosette is installed.
I love using my own handmade small planes for carving the braces. Such fun and they work so well.

The rosette is not as perfect as I'd like, but it will be okay. It has been about 5 years since I installed an abalone rosette this way. I used teflon strips inbetween the outside and inside purflings, glued them in, pulled out the teflon and set in the rosette pieces, flooded with CA and Bob's your Uncle! A couple of small gaps around the purflings but nothing I couldn't take care of. The BWB purflings I got from Stewmac this time, instead of LMI and they were more stiff...not as flexible, and difficult to get them to push up tight against the routed channel.

So next step is cut out the sound hole and proceed with the top bracing...a fun part.

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

more pics
Kevin Sjostrand

more pics
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

A lovely rosette Kevin - good to see you back in action . . . Bruce W.
Kevin Sjostrand

Bracing the top is underway. Those braces look WIDE but they are actually only 5/16" wide. They will be much shorter too once carved. :)