FINALLY I am starting another build!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

FINALLY I am starting another build!

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

It has been 2 years since I finshed my last guitar. That was #14. I thought my next project would be the archtop jazz guitar for which I have all the materials to build, but that got put on the back burner as I've been making duck calls....up to 163 of those.
It is now time to get back to guitars. This one will be for my son in law who lives in India. He has my #3 guitar finished in 2010, which he still plays daily. It is time for him to get another one.

It was fun getting down the stock form my shelves and putting the parts together.

This one will be a dred. Birdseye maple with a redwood top. Ebony headplate, fretboard and bridge. Indian rosewood binding. I am planning at this stage to do abalone purfling, at least the top, maybe the back too. There will be some type of abalone rosette and fret markers. Gold frets and gold tuners. The headstock inlay will be my first inlay of my last name, with MOP cut by De'Paule. I had 24 of these made a couple of years ago and so from this guitar forward, my headstocks will be adorned this way instead of the large wooded brush script "S" that I have been using.
I have this Fishman under saddle pickup that I MAY use but not sure yet. I will have some type of pickup in it though for sure.

Most the materials are in the pictures except the bracing stock which I have but forgot to get down off the racks, pickguard, don't know what that will be yet, and that abalone purfling which is packed up in bubble wrap.

It will be fun to be building again. This one needs to be completed by next spring as my family will be visiting us then and he can take it home with him. This will be the 5th guitar to spend its life in India.

I will try and post pics as I move along.....it won't be anything new but you all may still enjoy the process. I know I will!

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BEJ

Re: FINALLY I am starting another build!

Post by BEJ »

Looks like it will be a great build. Good to see someone else return to building. Duck calls, must have been something to make with the wood too small or short for use in another guitar. I've built a few cigar humidors with my left over/ too short wood, same types of wood used in both, especially Spanish Cedar.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Welcome back Kevin

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

wow Kevin, great project. I'll be watching closely.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I take it you are going to do the abalone the real way, i.e. break up the pieces and fit them in. Pictures, please, of the process. I used Zip-Flex when I did abalone purfling. I t came out great, but I have this nagging feeling I somehow cheated and at some point I have to do some abalone without the aid of Zip-Flex. So...I'm eager to see what you do.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

look forward to the new project
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Yes I will be using strips and fitting them in; breaking them into the channel. What I've done in the past is glue up the binding along with some thin black lines and teflon strips filling the area where the pearl will go. This works really good.
I've done one guitar with abalone purfling top and back, and another just the top. So a little bit of experience. Both guitars came out pretty good I thought.
Here are a couple of pics of those.

I have not started this yet. Hoping to joint the top plates and glue it up tonight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

The other guitar with just the top purfling pearl
Kevin Sjostrand

I was able to get going on this guitar yesterday. I had to clear off my bench before I could get started and get organized, but it sure felt good to start this one.
It has been 2 years since I finished my last one.

So I was able to thickness the maple sides on my drum sander. This takes awhile because they started out at 3/16" thick and I took them down to .080", but it still works well.
I have a safety planer for the drill press for thinning them down, but maple can be kind of chippy so I didn't want to risk messing them up.

I have a template I made for the sides so I pre-shape them on the bandsaw before I bend, this gets the approximate profile for the back in the sides once they are in the mold. This saves much time later.

The side bending went perfectly. My bender has 3 x 150 watt lightbulbs in it that will heat up to over 300 degrees, but the blanket and controller I started using about 5 years ago work so well. The whole bending process once the sides are setting in the bender takes about 5 minutes from start to finish of the bend. I start bending the waist at about 220 and by the time the temp is up to 250 the waist is almost done. I leave a little bit to bend after I've done the lower bout so the side pulls down a bit tighter around that curve. By the time the heat is up to 270, both bouts are done. I let the side cook for only about 5 minutes, then cool it down. At 100 I took the sides out and clamped them in the mold.
No cracks, no scorching, near perfect bends. That is how its supposed to be right!

I got the redwood top plates jointed, but not glued up. The maple backs will be next after I hone up an iron on my 1910 Stanley #5. The iron just wasn't sharp enough to do the job on the maple.

That is probably all until this Saturday. Daytime temps here this week are going to be from 104 to 109 and my shop is not air conditioned. Yikes!!

So more later this week.

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

and the bend of one side done and in the mold, the second side in the bender.

Kevin