Martin Jumbo - Rosewood Kit

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Selah

Re: Martin Jumbo - Rosewood Kit

Post by Selah »

Well, it took me a few weeks, but I got my inlay in. This was a lot of fine and it took me several hours. The photo below is with it glued in place, now I need to do the filler around the edges.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jread

Post by jread »

this is super nice. i can't wait to see this one all done up.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Not a lot of filling to do there - looks great!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You did a very good job!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Selah

Post by Selah »

I am taping off the parts I don’t want to spray. What about the sides of the fretboard?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I would tape it off as well.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

When I have a question like this, I look at my '74 Martin 000-28 - had it since new. It has finish all the way up to the top edge. And don't forget to make sure that edge is NOT flat still, but curved nicely into the neck. Hans Brentrup (fantastic mandolin and guitar maker who retired 4-5 years ago) said that he always made sure he could see both edges of the fretboard when he held the instrument up looking from the back. This is true of my Martin also.

Ed
Ed M
Selah

Post by Selah »

First coat of Shellac applied. Overall I’m pretty happy with the results.
Selah

Post by Selah »

I also wanted to show you all what I build for a spray booth. It has PVC walls with plastic on all sides and top. The plastic is taped with standard packing tape to the PVC “studs”. I got an inline 6” duct fan from a friend and vented it out the lower back of the booth and ducted it out an existing dog door into my shop. I put a nice HVAC filter on the intake above the door. The door is just a scrap piece of plywood that fit the opening perfectly. The duct tape around the edge of the door acts kinda like a seal.

I built a 2x4 hanging rod from the wall with some bike hooks screwed into it. I put a 3/4” pipe coming off the wall to put the guitar on when I spray it. Overall I am very happy with the setup.

Sorry about all the photos being sideways. I can’t figure out how to fix that as I post from my iPhone.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Great looking spray booth. Is it easy to fold up and store?

Ed
Ed M