Martin Jumbo - Rosewood Kit

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Selah

Martin Jumbo - Rosewood Kit

Post by Selah »

Starting my Martin Jumbo kit made of Rosewood back and sides.

This is my first guitar, so pointers are very welcome. I am already a skilled woodworker, but would love hints and tips as I move forward. My goal is to build three: one for me and one for each of my sons. All three of us play, some better than others. :D

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Martin Jumbo - Rosewood Kit

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Good job on the gobar deck. I made my first one too, although it didn't look as nice as yours.

John Hall has a huge number of videos on YouTube, which will walk you through your build. One discusses screwing in your neck block, through your mold, to keep it true.

https://youtu.be/FcM3GErOI_A
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

You are already off to a better start. When I glued the braces on the top for my rosewood jumbo I had the wrong radius dish <blush>.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
Rag Thumb

Post by Rag Thumb »

My secret to success is.......well I don't have one. But for me, I have learned to go slow and plan out my actions. I seem to make fewer mistakes that way. Then, when you do make a mistake I share it on this forum and the helpful folks here always seem to have a solution.
------------

Rex
Selah

Post by Selah »

I am very methodical in my work and also precise. I hope both of these characteristics help. I have also tried hard to do a dry fit.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Doing a dry run is the key to success. You're smart to do this. I still do it, especially when doing something that I don't do every day. So many problems can be avoided this way.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Selah

Post by Selah »

I’m carving the back braces now. Trying to get a more lively top.

I’m very cautious about carving off too much. What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Selah

Post by Selah »

I got a little brazen and carved the main X braces a bit. I was just not getting a responsive sound when I was tapping the top. After a little carving, I think it taps a lot better ... it’s a little more responsive.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

your shaping looks clean and well proportioned
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Selah

Post by Selah »

So I think I made my first mistake. My neck block hits my upper bout brace (see photo). Should I just cut it out so the neck block rest against the top? When I say cut it out, I mean just the part where the neck brace should rest on the top ... not all of the bout brace.