Martin Jumbo - Rosewood Kit

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Cbstark46143

Re: Martin Jumbo - Rosewood Kit

Post by Cbstark46143 »

I would remove the brace and put it where it fits.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Where did you get that design for a neck block? I've never seen anything like it (which isn't saying much, because my experience is limited).

Any neck block I've seen has been a simple rectangular block. I think you could cut off that extension that is interfering with the braces and be none the worse. A gazillion guitars have been built without any such addition to the neck block. I would NOT cut the top braces.

But I'd like to get the opinion of somebody like John, who has extensive experience with guitar construction.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
carld05

Post by carld05 »

That looks like most martin neck blocks I've used (kits or seconds). If this is your first kit, I would go with your idea of notching the popcycle brace to get a good joint with the top. Just remember to space this stuff out before glueing your next one up.
That's how I make my own neck blocks now, but extended to meet the USB (brace). Makes a pretty ridged system when the fretboard extension is glued down.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Cbstark46143 wrote:I would remove the brace and put it where it fits.
Re-reading this string....that is the correct way to fix it. Put a clothes iron on the brace and it should come off fairly easily with a bit of encouragement with a thin blade, assuming you're using a heat softenable glue.
Clean the surfaces well and reglue it where it's supposed to be.

Not a big deal. This is why you use reversible glue when building a guitar.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

that is a martin neck block you can cut that piece off. The cantilever is actually a glue caul . It is cheaper to design that than to pay the floor person to fumble with the caul , so it is safe to remove.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Selah

Post by Selah »

Well, I cut the cantilever off. No more conflict.

I’m back to building after a few days off. Now working on attaching the back.

For anyone interested, I had a whole separate issue with the back braces. You can read about that here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9133
Selah

Post by Selah »

The back is dry-fit and the sanding of the kerf went well and looks tight for the inside. As you can see I the photo, the back brace in the center is not long enough. Maybe I set it too far toward the tail of the guitar, but I placed it according to the marks on the back. Oh well. I don’t know if it’s a big deal, but it’s too late now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

you need to taper the ends so the fade to the back plate. If they are heavy there is a stress riser and the brace will be loose. The fact is you most likely got a 000 back brace set and they are too short. It will work and still sound like a guitar.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Selah

Post by Selah »

I will contact Martin again. These back braces have been a fight for me. I have two other kits, so I would like the correct back braces for those kits.

Do I need to taper the ends of the braces to meet the back even if they don’t touch the rim?
Selah

Post by Selah »

So, here’s a dri-fit if the neck to the body. I have done no sanding of the wedge and look how recessed it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.